Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook Blog Platform

Hi folks -

I made a brief mention of this project before the February server crash, and things got a bit jumbled after then, but I wanted to (re-)announce the launch of the Casebook Blog Platform. As of today you'll start seeing "Most Recent Blogs" on the left-hand side of every page, just above the Most Recent Posts and Most Popular Forums listings. This will give you a list of the most recently posted blog entries from the Casebook Blogging Platform.

So far we've got six folks signed up as bloggers, but there's an open invitation to anyone who's interested to set up and mange a blog of their own. You don't need any technical knowledge (if you can post on these forums, you can post on the blogging platform). Each blog is a miniature website that is 100% controlled by its owner - they control what gets posted, and they control what comments are allowed to be published by the reading audience.

There are no real restrictions on each blogger apart from:

1. A fair percentage (75%+) of the posts you make must have some connection - however tangential - to either Jack the Ripper, Victoriana in general or true-crime in general. You can publish serious posts, funny posts, in-the-news posts, or just about anything you want.

2. No hate-blogs or slanderous material is allowed.

Apart from that, you're king of the castle and can decide how things are run on your site.

My hope is that this will offer a few things on the Casebook:

1. A place where folks can develop and maintain topical conversations on specific subjects, without having to worry about threads getting hijacked by loud/obnoxious users. They control what gets posted and what comments are published, so they can control the tone and direction of each conversation.

2. A central hub where researchers can showcase their findings, theories or comments, instead of having their material scattered across multiple forums/threads. Each post can be cross-referenced by category and subject matter, and can be easily referenced. Hopefully this will also help get some more exposure and recognition to those researchers who find tons of great stuff, but whose posts are often drowned out by more popular/contentious threads.

If you're interested in setting up a blog, or just have questions about the process, please drop me a line at spryder@casebook.org. And you can check out some of our current blogs via the "Most Recent Blog" links on the left-hand column of every page.

And if you have any comments or suggestions on the blogging platform itself (as a reader or as a blogger) please let me know!

Thanks -

- Stephen

Now that some of the bloggers are becoming more prolific, is there a way to view the blogs other than "most recent"? I'd like to read some of the other bloggers' works.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Kelly -

I've added links just now to all of our blogs at:

Once everyone's made a couple of posts to their blog I'm going to make the home page of blog.casebook.org a bit more detailed, with latest posts listed for each blogger, as well as a fuller description of what each blog covers/entails.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Spryder.

Finally got my blog set up and ported over.

Still got the "detail" work to do, but the articles are there.

Thanks again!
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Stephen,

I've looked over a couple of the blogs that are up and let me commend you on your choice of platforms.

I maintain seven blogs on Dreamhost (my hosting company) and use WordPress on ALL of them, and it's absolutely the most user-friendly of platforms out there.

There is a part of me that would LOVE to participate, but I already have a Jack-focused blog (http://www.historyhype.com) and as it's drawing a nice audience flow (~100 unique visitors a month, sometimes more) for such a small blog, I can't imagine moving it from Dreamhost to here.

That said, here's a couple things I'll readily admit:

1) I *really* envy the custom theme you are using and would LOVE to use it on HistoryHype.com, if that were possible. The one I use is similar in spirit, but not as sharp-looking. (I'm hoping your theme is widget-ready.)

2) If you can think of a way to incorporate my HistoryHype.com blog into your network here without me moving it from Dreamhost, I'd love to get a PM from you and discuss how we might be able to pull that off. Although it's called HistoryHype.com and I might someday have a few entries that are non-Jack-related, the bulk of my posts for the foreseeable will revolve around my ongoing JTR and related research.

I look forward to a PM, if you would like to pursue this.
          All my blogs:
          MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

Stephen,

Now that I'm up and running, don't forget to add me at: http://blog.casebook.org/
            All my blogs:

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

I've got my Blog started

Comment

Welcome aboard, Belinda.

My Casebook blog's kinda quiet right now, but it's because I'm in-process writing my next huge essay.

It looks like this one already has a print home, so it won't appear in whole on my blog until it appears there... but once I'm closer to done with this article (which looks to be much longer than my first print-piece on Mary Kelly, and actually within my main focus of Ripper studies) I may put tidbits of it on the blog as teasers...
                All my blogs:

Comment

Hi Stephen

I'm not certain how it would work..

But Stan Reid and I, have been try top get some stuff together on The Hammersmith Nude Murders..

It has crossed my mind to start a seperate website but I don't really have the time..

While there are some great posts, the information requires sorting into logical path's..suspect's..victims..theories..almost like a seperate casebook.

Could a blog be run by more than one person with a specific interest in one area?

Making a more organised thread?

Pirate

PS Are you up for a blog Stan?

Comment

I've err locked myself out of my Blog I sent you an email but haven't heard anything back so I'm not sure if it got there as I'm having alot of computer problems or you are just busy.

I lost all my password stuff when my other computer crashed

Sorry to bother

Comment

Working...
                    X