Mallory and Irvine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallory and Irvine

There is another thread of the same name on here but I couldn't find it so I am starting this one.

A researcher found missing weather data which indicated that there was a very high degree of probability that there was a severe storm on the summit of Everest on the day Mallory and Irvine were making their attempt to summit. So it is not unreasonable that they would have turned back if that were the case.

I just became aware that there is supposed to be a very good book on Mallory and Irvine entitled "Paths of Glory" by Jeffrey Archer. I have plans to read it.

c.d.

Sorry pal,

But anything by "Lord" Jeffery Archer is a work of fiction, including his life....alledgedly!

Also he has a spotty back, but, according to "Private Eye", his reputation is spotless!

Up the Owls. We will return.

Comment

Mallory and Irvine would make a fantastic movie. For some reason, as far as I know, one hasn't been made yet.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan,

Yes, it would make a good movie. If you go to gorp.com and type in Mallory as a search term there are a number of excellent articles that come up.

c.d.

Comment

Carry on up the North Col!!!

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          Mallory and Irvine would make a fantastic movie. For some reason, as far as I know, one hasn't been made yet.
          Indeed it would! Who would pick to play Mallory and Irvine in the movie? Oh and please, for pity's sake man, no Americans with unforgivably bad "British" accents!!!

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
          And thus I clothe my naked villainy
          With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
          And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Tim Roth-Mallory
            Daniel Radcliffe-Irvine

Stan Reid

Comment

Simple solution

Because it doesn't have a happy ending!

Comment

Of course, their mistake was in not climbing the mountain from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                  Because it doesn't have a happy ending!
                  They made another great film Scott of the Antarctic.

Stan Reid

Comment

I'm just going outside, I may be some time...

Scott of the Antarctic. "Deleted Scene". The Last Day.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                    And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                    With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                    And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Yes but,

That had a very heroic ending which does just as well, with plenty of camera opportunities.

Comment

I finished reading "Paths of Glory" by Jeffrey Archer. Not the greatest book I ever read but I did enjoy it. It is fiction and not a biography of George Mallory nor even a historical novel. So Archer gets to play fast and loose with the facts. He is awfully fawning with regards to Mallory who comes off as a perfect gentleman, stalwart companion and loving husband and father. Climbing back then was definitely a gentleman's sport and it was interesting to find out what it took to put an expedition together. Money and prestige were definitely essential.

I am amazed at how they were able to cope with the cold given the clothes that they had which were essentially wool. Even today with down and gore-tex and plastic boots people still have trouble coping.

Regardless of whether or not they made it to the summit, it was an incredible achievement.

By the way, does anybody know what their sleeping bags would have been made of?

c.d.

Comment

I watched a documentary on Everest last night. The climbers had state of the art clothes - down suits, Gore Tex, plastic mountaineering boots etc.
                          State of the art oxygen tanks. Fixed ropes and ladders. Sherpas helping them. Two way radios. And they knew the route to take. Still they struggled. How Mallory and Irvine made it as far as they did is beyond me. My respect for them which was high to begin with went up even higher after watching this program.

c.d.

Comment

CD, you watched a documentary on Everest? Can they get TV out there?

Comment

Yeah, but no popcorn or beer.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X