Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bits of JtR films that I've found memorable-Time After Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits of JtR films that I've found memorable-Time After Time!

Hello Ripper-lore enthusiasts,
    I've been working on some reviews of my own involving Hollywood's portrayal of Jack the Ripper...and his victims and the Detectives, Inspectors etc...
    But the review and comparisons has (have) become an Opus. Hence , probably more than new companions on the JtR trail would want to hear from me (just yet).
    So I'm offering bits and drabs.
    Just this morning, I'm watching Time after Time and was reminded of a portion of the film I found so engrossing (when the film first came out).
    The beginning of the film features a prostitute walking down a cobblestone street in the blind dark of the London fog. The sound of her shoes and their gritty "clop" on the cobblestone so brought me into the moment in the wee hours between inebriation and uncontiousness.
    She takes her face (and formless) client into dark passageway, where he opens his watch and sets it on a nearby crate. The watch plays a lovely (and haunting) tune as the couple "commence"..the prostitute with business and the client with his "work". A blood splatter narrowly misses the antiguated picture of the woman encircled in the pocket watch.
    The premise of the rest of the film is fantastical, and at times slightly silly, but it doesn't fail to entertain.
    However this opening scene has stayed with me since I first viewed the film.The scene came back to me when I read of one of the "artifacts" trailing the Maybrick Diary being a gold pocket watch with initials of victims of JtR etched into it.
    I hope I haven't board my new friends completely!
    Ever,
    Gypsyohara

Time After Time is a good one.That's an interesting bit about the watch.You must give Murder By Decree a look it is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
      Time After Time is a good one.That's an interesting bit about the watch.You must give Murder By Decree a look it is very good.
      I own Murder by Decree as well. Best tretise on the "Royal Conspiracy" I've seen.
      And, who can really resist Christophr Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson?

-Gypsyohara

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyohara View Post
        Hello Ripper-lore enthusiasts,
        I've been working on some reviews of my own involving Hollywood's portrayal of Jack the Ripper...and his victims and the Detectives, Inspectors etc...
        But the review and comparisons has (have) become an Opus. Hence , probably more than new companions on the JtR trail would want to hear from me (just yet).
        So I'm offering bits and drabs.
        Just this morning, I'm watching Time after Time and was reminded of a portion of the film I found so engrossing (when the film first came out).
        The beginning of the film features a prostitute walking down a cobblestone street in the blind dark of the London fog. The sound of her shoes and their gritty "clop" on the cobblestone so brought me into the moment in the wee hours between inebriation and uncontiousness.
        She takes her face (and formless) client into dark passageway, where he opens his watch and sets it on a nearby crate. The watch plays a lovely (and haunting) tune as the couple "commence"..the prostitute with business and the client with his "work". A blood splatter narrowly misses the antiguated picture of the woman encircled in the pocket watch.
        The premise of the rest of the film is fantastical, and at times slightly silly, but it doesn't fail to entertain.
        However this opening scene has stayed with me since I first viewed the film.The scene came back to me when I read of one of the "artifacts" trailing the Maybrick Diary being a gold pocket watch with initials of victims of JtR etched into it.
        I hope I haven't board my new friends completely!
        Ever,
        Gypsyohara
        I agree, a very good movie, the opening is wonderful.
        Me?
        For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

Working...
        X