google earth help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• google earth help

If I can help I will. I really believe that this program could be a valuable research tool and an excellent method for establishing a healthy geographic understanding. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

preliminaries with images

To begin you should have google earth installed on your machine, as well as one of the kmz files downloaded from humyo. I will be using the mnIII kmz as an example.

Open google earth. It will go to a location over Lawrence Kansas, this is because it was developed at K.U.. You will notice an image field on the right of the screen and a tool box on the left side. Do not be alarmed, looking at Kansas is not known to have any lasting side effects. This is image 1

Find your kmz downloaded file, and click on it. You will see a change in both the field of view and in the toolbox. Your field of view will zoom out to reveal the whole planet, and an icon will appear in the toolbox with the name of the kmz you launched. This is image 2

In the top of the toolbox is a box labeled "fly to". Enter london,england in this box and press the looking glass icon to the right of the box. This will take you to london with a viewing altitude of roughly 3.5 km. The viewing altitude can be adjusted using the track wheel in your mouse or the scroll pad on your laptop.
    Attached Files

Comment

w/images con't

We are now 17km over london. Remember the altitude is displayed in the bottom right of the screen. If you click the + sign in the box next to the kmz icon, the kmz will expand to show the contents. Some of these will be overlays, which have an icon resembling two sheets of paper. Others will have a folder. The folders will also have + signs and be expandable. You should also not that the toolbox at the left has a scroll bar. There is alot of content in most of these kmz files, use the scroll bar to expose it all.

Place a checkmark in the box next to the overlay icon (sheets of paper) labeled "Spitalfields". You will see a map overlay appear in the view box. You can recenter this map by by moving your pointer over the field of view, then pressing and holding the left mouse button while moving the mouse in the direction you wish to move to center the overlay.

When you use the scroll bar in the toolbox you will seee folders that can be expanded. These are labeled by the contents. By placing a check mark in the box to the left of the exposed content you can turn that plotting on or off.

These are the basics and should see you off to a good start. Place questions on this thread and I will try and help. It would help me if you could include a screen capture. Have fun exploring the content and learning the program. Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

toggle it on/off

The first two images show the viewing area and the control area for the off position. The second two for the on position. Clicking the box with the check mark in it is the Mechanism of action. Dave
        Attached Files
        Last edited by protohistorian; 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM. Reason: more explanation

Comment

Hi Dave,

Hope you can help me but before I install Google earth, I noticed on your maps on the left side you have various custom maps such as "1894"
          Does googleearth already come loaded with this map of Whitechapel in 1894?

I live near London and know that many road names and the layout has changed in 100 years so an accurate map such as one from 1894 or nearer 1888 would be great?

thanks

Comment

No Mr. Twibbs but they are available on the humyo thread or I can get them to you. The overlays have to be aligned with the terrain. The kmz files on google earth have the files already aligned and you just download the kmz on a machine with GE and then click the kmz files icon and it will self install. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
              No Mr. Twibbs but they are available on the humyo thread or I can get them to you. The overlays have to be aligned with the terrain. The kmz files on google earth have the files already aligned and you just download the kmz on a machine with GE and then click the kmz files icon and it will self install. Dave
              Thank you i willtry this and PM you soon

Comment

Working...
              X