Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitechapel -worst area in the whole of the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel -worst area in the whole of the UK?

Excluding JTR's activities how bad an area was Whitechapel at the time ?(yes i am aware that it was deprived and poverty stricken) - ie -as in was it the worst area in the whole of the UK?
    Was it a no go area (such as , say, Moss Side) is today for outsiders?
    Did JTR operate in the worst bits of Whitechapel- or was the area terrible all over?
    We're standing alone inside the night
    listen the wind is calling
    to the dangerzone beyond the light
    and suddenly we are falling
    But there ain't no stopping us now
    I don't know if I'll be back tonight
    It's just a machine inside of my head
    and now all the wheels are turning
    I'll think of the words we never said
    and deep in my heart it's burning
    But there is no stopping it now
    we're gonna make it somehow
    you wait tonight
    and we're waiting for the light
    Into the fire we will run
    into the sound of distant drums
    when you're walking alone in a dream
    on a highway to nowhere
    nowhere tonight

Booth's poverty map will give an indication of the London area, unfortunately I have no clue how it compares to the whole UK.

Search or navigate Charles Booth's poverty map to discover rich or poor areas of late Victorian London and reveal a modern underlay map.

Hope this helps.

cheers, Rod

Comment

I have heard that St. Giles was the worst slum in London back in the 1800's. I could be wrong. Booths maps would of course be the best way to go, however I have never viewed them.

I have heard that St. Giles Rookery was the worst though.

Comment

Nevertheless, Whitechapel and its environs were mixed areas, and as (I believe, from memory) has been discussed extensively at an earlier date, there were plenty living and visiting the area (the 'slummers' aside) who were of a higher economic profile than most occupants of Booth's black-lined streets. I think this is why it has been so hard to comprehensively debunk the notion that JtR may have come from a more comfortable economic group--it just isn't possible to say with any certainty that there is no way someone like that could walk through Whitechapel without being clocked/mugged or murdered.

Dorset Street was certainly one of the crappier streets (hence the 'worst street in London' moniker), but as far as the other murder locations went, it seems it would have been simple enough to find somewhere crappier still. I don't think poverty was one of our killer's criteria for finding a location.

And, as for comparisons with the rest of the UK, I think that the sheer population level/overcrowding probably made parts of London about as mean and desperate as could be.
        best,

claire

Comment

Whitechapel, Spitalfields, St. Giles.....they were all pretty bad really. Plus the wandering poor didn't just stay in the one place, they moved around the area so it's a bit difficult to seperate one from the other.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Working...
          X