The Sirius Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sirius Mystery

I was wondering if any of you guys are interested in this mystery and the Dogon people of Africa. I know this kind of may be off the board,so to speak, but I'd love to hear peoples thought on this mystery. I was telling my cousin about it the other day and he was pretty intrigued by it. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
    Jordan

I've never heard of it. What is it. The title has me intrigued as Sirius is the Dog star and I love dogs

Comment

Hi Chainz. Much of the basis for the Sirius Mystery theory was founded on a misunderstanding of the Dogon tribe and their ability to read the stars, so essentially, the whole theory that they had advanced knowledge of the solar system due to contact with extraterrestrials falls apart, since a more careful study of their culture casts serious doubt on the idea that they had any such advanced knowledge at all.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hey Tom,
        How is it a misunderstanding that they knew about a star they could not have been able to see? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
        Jordan

Comment

I guess it was a matter of mistranslation. The source comes from a book in the 1970's and since that time most of the significant argues have fallen under question or been outright proved wrong.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,
            How can you mistranslate an artifact? Correct if I'm wrong here but didn't the Dogon have in their possession a metal artifact (kind of like those solar system models) depicting the exact layout of the Sirius stars? This predates any book on the subject. Which begs the question, how did they know this?
            Jordan

Comment

It's whatever you want it to be I guess. Instead of translation I should have said interpetation.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,
                I don't really undertsand what you meant.
                Jordan

Comment

I guess what I'm saying is that one author interpreted the evidence to mean that the Dogons had knowledge of a second star, from this he concluded they only could have known this from an advanced ET civilization. However, subsequent research has led to the likely conclusion that the Dogons never had such a knowledge and that the original author was mistaken, therefore all conclusions drawn from his misinterpretion are null and void. In short, there's no evidence here of extra-terrestrial communication. I haven't read on the subject in quite a long time so that's all I really have to offer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    I've never heard of it. What is it. The title has me intrigued as Sirius is the Dog star and I love dogs
                    Hey Belinda,
                    The Dogon People of Africa are an ancient people that trace their roots all the way back to the ancient Egyptians. They live in West Africa in Mali. According to their astronomical lore (which is thousands of years old), the Sirius star has a companion star called Sirius B which can't be seen by the naked eye. This star was first photographed by modern telescopes in 1970 I believe but was first recorded by European astronomers in the 1800's. So how is it possible these people could have known about a star they could not have seen? They are a primitive people who do not possess telescopes. Heres the fascinating part. According to them, a race of beings from the Sirius system called the Nommos visited the Earth many eons ago. They arrived in an Ark and resembled ugly fish like creatures. Also they were the first beings created by their god who is called Amma. The Dogon priests say it was the Nommos that gave them the knowledge of Sirius B along with other information about the Solar System. That is that Jupiter has four major moons, that Saturn has rings, and that our planets orbit the sun. This information wasn't first discovered by Westerners until after the invention of the telescope. Scientists and Western astronomers have explained all this away by saying that somehow their oral traditions were contaminated by European visitors in the 1800's who told them about the Sirius system and they ,in turn, meshed these facts with their stories. Or that this is all just some strange coincedence. What they can't get around (and what I was pointing out to Tom) is that the Dogon have a 400 year old artifact that accurately depicts the configuration of the Sirius system. They also can't seem to explain how the Dogon knew the density of the Sirius B star. Incredibly, it doesn't end there. Also according to the Dogon, there is a third Sirius star in the system. It is around this star that the home planet of the Nommos orbits. Based on recent observation of the Sirius system with modern technology, there is probably a small third star there. So what does this all mean? Are the Dogon priests telling a true story that modern science seems to be validating? Or did they have some means to locate this star that we don't know about? Or did Europeans tell them about Sirius B and they wove it into their existing stories? Or is this just all some weird unexplainable coincedence? Nobody really knows.
                    Jordan
                    Last edited by ChainzCooper; 05-12-2010, 03:28 AM.

Comment

You may be interested to read this sceptical article (with links to more):

Comment

Thanks for the link Chris. It was an interesting read.
                        Jordan

Comment

Did you see my reply Belinda? Glad I could help.
                          Jordan

Comment

Yes it is interesting.I wish there was a bit more information.It's also rather interesting that the people are called the Dogon and Sirius is the Dog star

Comment

Working...
                            X