The Soldier's Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soldier's Child

I've found this interesting new possibility for the identity of Mary Jane Kelly, certainly worth further investigation I think. It is from the Hampshire census, 1871. The address is Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth, Hampshire.

John Kelly, 34, head of family, private, born Ireland.
    Elizabeth Kelly, 45, wife, soldier's wife, born Ireland
    Michael Kelly, 13, son, soldier's child, born Ireland
    Mary Jane Kelly, 9, daughter, soldier's child, born Ireland
    Henry Kelly, 7, son, soldier's child, born Ireland

There are also 4 other soldiers living with the family, 3 privates and a corporal, two of them Irish-born so I am guessing this is an Irish regiment.

The problem with this family as far as our main source of biographical information goes (i.e. Barnet) is that his MJK and her coal-miner father apparently went to Wales when she was a little girl, but this MJK is in Hampshire as late as the age of 9.

However I think this is as good a lead as any. She is approximately the right age (would be 26 in 1888 by my reckoning). The names John and Henry are right and there is an army connection.

What do the experts on this kind of research think? (I might add that the census can be flaming inaccurate in some details. It says my great grandfather William McGee was aged 17 in 1891 and 6 in 1881 and neither is right - he was born in 1877, and in 1901 it thinks my great-great grandfather James McGee was born in Newcastle and in 1891 in Ireland. Frustrating - but worthwhile bearing in mind when it comes to trying to find the same family in other censi.)

Originally posted by Carrotty Nell View Post
    I've found this interesting new possibility for the identity of Mary Jane Kelly, certainly worth further investigation I think. It is from the Hampshire census, 1871. The address is Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth, Hampshire.

John Kelly, 34, head of family, private, born Ireland.
    Elizabeth Kelly, 45, wife, soldier's wife, born Ireland
    Michael Kelly, 13, son, soldier's child, born Ireland
    Mary Jane Kelly, 9, daughter, soldier's child, born Ireland
    Henry Kelly, 7, son, soldier's child, born Ireland

There are also 4 other soldiers living with the family, 3 privates and a corporal, two of them Irish-born so I am guessing this is an Irish regiment.

The problem with this family as far as our main source of biographical information goes (i.e. Barnet) is that his MJK and her coal-miner father apparently went to Wales when she was a little girl, but this MJK is in Hampshire as late as the age of 9.

However I think this is as good a lead as any. She is approximately the right age (would be 26 in 1888 by my reckoning). The names John and Henry are right and there is an army connection.

What do the experts on this kind of research think? (I might add that the census can be flaming inaccurate in some details. It says my great grandfather William McGee was aged 17 in 1891 and 6 in 1881 and neither is right - he was born in 1877, and in 1901 it thinks my great-great grandfather James McGee was born in Newcastle and in 1891 in Ireland. Frustrating - but worthwhile bearing in mind when it comes to trying to find the same family in other censi.)
    On the census....I traced my family back to 1780 in the space of two days. The point I wanted to say is this: you're absolutely right....the years are sometimes out....so are spellings of names....and sometimes you have parishes given as the place of the birth and at other times districts...which can be misleading. But if you stick at it...and in a logical manner...then you can piece the jigsaw together.

She could easily have gone to Wales and then Hampshire - not a problem at all. My family are miners.....and their ancestors moved around to follow work more than is imaginable based on today's society. Around the same period you're researching....my family went from South Wales to Cornwall to Yorkshire to Durham in the space of a few years and had children at points along the way.

I'd say you have something to go on as a start.....and he may have been a miner in wales...and may have been a soldier in Hampshire.... the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
      On the census....I traced my family back to 1780 in the space of two days. The point I wanted to say is this: you're absolutely right....the years are sometimes out....so are spellings of names....and sometimes you have parishes given as the place of the birth and at other times districts...which can be misleading. But if you stick at it...and in a logical manner...then you can piece the jigsaw together.

She could easily have gone to Wales and then Hampshire - not a problem at all. My family are miners.....and their ancestors moved around to follow work more than is imaginable based on today's society. Around the same period you're researching....my family went from South Wales to Cornwall to Yorkshire to Durham in the space of a few years and had children at points along the way.

I'd say you have something to go on as a start.....and he may have been a miner in wales...and may have been a soldier in Hampshire.... the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
      To add....CN....

Have you been on Ancestry?

Have a look for John...Elizabeth....and Michael Kelly in the 1861 census.....try South Wales first off......they may have lived there and moved before the 1871 census.

Have a look for them in the 1881 census....presumably Henry will still have been living with the mum and dad......though the dad could be dead at this point.....

Wish I had my subscription to ancestry still...I'd give you a hand!

Just to add....if you have the year of birth about right...and you have the parents' names right....and you have country of birth right....then I think you're onto something.....the fact that Wales hasn't shown up YET.....means little.....if you have the right Kelly....and she definitely lived in Wales then my guess it will show in the 1861 census.

Comment

Hi Nell
        The Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth in 1871 were, according to the enumerator's covering sheet, home to the "17th Leicesters or 82 Regt."

Fleetwood - I think it unlikely you will find the family in 1861. All the children in 1871 are listed as born in Ireland and the youngest is 7, which suggest the family were living in Ireland until at least 1864.

Chris
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Chris Scott; 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

There is only one family, as near as I can find, with any similarities in 1881 but there are some serious discrepancies.
          In Manchester there are listed a couple named John and Elizabeth Kelly with a son named Henry.

6 Wharf Street, New Cross, Manchester
          Head: John Kelly aged 46 born Ireland - Labourer
          Wife: Elizabeth Kelly aged 48 born Ireland
          Son: Henry Kelly aged 18 born Bengal, India - Cabinet maker

The ages of father and son John and Henry are in line within a couple of years (John is 34 in 1871, Henry is 7) but the wife Elizabeth's age is seriously awry. In 1871 she is listed as 11 years older than her husband, but in this family in 1881 the wife is only two years older.
          The son is listed as born in Bengal which although it does suggest this is an ex military family is at variance with the 1871 listing, where he is noted as born in Ireland

Comment

Working...
          X