Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone good at languages recognise this word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good at languages recognise this word?

Todaem

Hi all, just wondering if anyone recognises the above word and the language it may be used in? I am trying to find out if it could also be a name?
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Many thanks for any help.

It could be Portuguese. Check out this site

Portuguese is a Romance language spoken in Portugal, Brazil and many other countries by about 255 million people.

Comment

Debs, I think Belinda's right, it does seem to be Portuguese, but I haven't found the word in an online dictionary. Maybe it's a variant of another word.

Comment

As far as I can tell from an online Portugese to English translator it means all,the whole. hope that helps.

Comment

That could fit as the Spanish word for all is todos and the two languages are pretty close

Comment

My on line translator makes it "All" in Portuguese as well.
            http://www.taraforum.com/

Comment

Thanks very much everyone.
              I was hoping someone would recognise it as a Scandinavian forename, but it does seem like you are all correct and it is the Portuguese word (well spotted Belinda) for 'all' and therefore doesn't make any sense and probably has no relevance in the context I saw it written in.

...The deaf newspaper reporter strikes again!

Comment

It could also be a Scandinavian name I thought it looked Norwegian at first. Glenn might know.

Comment

I just ran it under surname only search on Family Search and nothing came up for any country.

Comment

If you put in in a Latin /English translator it comes up with Hodie as an alternative which means 'Today'

Comment

I am a newbie in the casebook forum, but I am familiar with the Portuguese language and I do not recognize that word, even derived from latin. "Toda" in Portuguese means "all", but "em" means "in", but the word together as "Todaem" does not exist. However could you, please, write in which context it is the word written, in order to help you?

Comment

There is a Toda language, which is a form of Dravidian, and there is a Toda people in India. Perhaps it's related in some way to these? What is the context?
                        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

It's a puzzle. It could be a misspelling ,a mistake, a form of a word not in use any more or a name?

Comment

I thought it might be Romani, but I didn't find it yet in any online dictionaries. It comes up as a name in some sites with Spanish, but I don't speak Spanish.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I came across some sites with toda em, but they're in languages I don't speak. I did a goggle on "Hebrew toda em" and saw references to toda em. Also, I saw references to toda, in Yiddish and a couple of other languages. Toda= thank you. ???

I found this site with "toda"--meaning thank you in Hebrew. http://users.elite.net/runner/jennif...kyou.htm#Greek

I kept coming across the phrase "toda em" when I Googled Yiddish "toda em". With toda em in quotes
                              Last edited by Celesta; 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X