Jane Toppan - Massachusetts Serial Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Toppan - Massachusetts Serial Killer

I recently came across a female serial killer from my area who I never even heard of before: Her name was Jane Toppan and her reign of slayings lasted from 1885 to 1901.

At first, she worked as a nurse at Cambridge Hospital. She then transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital, then returned to Cambridge before being dismissed for excessive use of narcotics. Toppan went into private nursing.

By 1895, she began poisoning non-patients, such as her landlords, her foster sister Elizabeth, Alden Davis and his two daughters. She tried to do the same to Elizabeth's husband, but he saw through her and removed her from the premises.

An autopsy was requested by the Davis family and granted. When the results returned as homicide, Toppan was arrested.

She was tried, found not guilty by reason of insanity, and committed to a mental institution where she spent the rest of her life. In a confession, she admitted to killing up to 31 individuals.

Quite peculiar, I've never even heard of this Jane Toppan before now and I go to the area where these murders occurred quite often. Admittedly, I don't know much about her at all, I was just able to get this information offline.

What are your thoughts?
    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Hi
    This might be of use

Lowell Sun
    13 August 1938
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so very much!
      *goes to read*
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Hello you all!

An interesting case.

In general; for some reason there seem to be less female serial killers...

Or is it easier for males to find publicity?!

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hello,

It's also interesting that this case adds to the notion that women are more prone to use poison as a murder weapon (Flo Maybrick) than men, and that poisoning is/was considered a "woman's" crime.

Harold Schechter wrote about her:

http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Poisonou.../dp/0671014501

Comment

Working...
          X