Info on census data not yet released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on census data not yet released

For my own family history purposes I sorted the list below and thought this might be of interest to some.
    The 100 year rule applies in general to census returns but the 1911 census data was mostly released in 2009 (with a few exceptions) and will be fully available in 2011. It has not yet been decided when and in what form data from future censuses will be made available.
    However events intervened and the census data sitting in storage waiting to be made public is not an incident free story.

1911: Nearly all available now - full data in 2011

1921: data set available but date of release not yet known (unusually this census was done in June of that year)

1931: The data from this census was destroyed in the bombing of World War 2

1939: A special census (excluding those in the armed forces) was carried out in September of this year to allow the issues of civilian ID cards. Whether this will be released on the same basis as a normal census is not yet known

1941: World War 2 meant there was no census in this year

1951 onwards: data is available and release dates will be reviewed nearer the time

The 2011 census may be the last in its present form as the Government announed its intention to review the role of the census and possibly discontinue it after 2011
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 03-30-2010, 03:17 PM.

Hello Chris,

From what I have been told, and I could well be wrong, the problem with the 1921 census is that parts were badly damaged by water some time during the early 1930's. Attempts have been ongoing to restore and save as much as possible from this census, apparently.

Re the 1931 census, again, from what I have been told, some of it was saved apparently, but very little. And almost certainly is much damaged.

This info came from from a few years ago when I asked for my own family research purposes. However, as I say, confirmation may be needed.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

1911 Census

Anybody on here got access to the 1911 and would be willing to look up a couple of names for me?

Comment

Hello Bob,

Please give me a week or so and I can help you.
        I will pm you. Hope that is ok?

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Thats great. The names are:
          George Shotton born 1880
          Amy Stuart Born 1893
          Mamie Danks
          Francis Wigglesworth

Comment

Hello Bob,

All done.
            Pm's sent to you about those 4 requested.

Hope these help.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
            X