Pub locations in 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub locations in 1888

Didn't know if something like this was ever created before but I was just curious as to if anyone had a complete list and location of every pub/bar in Whitechapel during the murders? I'm trying to compile a list together for a project and was just curious as to if I could garner some help from the Ripper community.

Regards and Best Wishes,
    Justin
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Originally posted by Jdombrowski89 View Post
    Didn't know if something like this was ever created before but I was just curious as to if anyone had a complete list and location of every pub/bar in Whitechapel during the murders? I'm trying to compile a list together for a project and was just curious as to if I could garner some help from the Ripper community.

Regards and Best Wishes,
    Justin
    Dear Justin,

Don't know if this will be any help but have a look at John J. Eddleston's "JTR an Encyclopaedia" page 193. It might be a good starting point.

Take it easy,

Steve.

Comment

Justin,

Check these dissertations out.

Pubs and Jack the Ripper by John Smithkey.

The house where Jack Swilled by the late great Adrian Phypers (Viper, greatly missed by me).

Both great pieces on this very topic.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys.

Monty, can you supply me with links, please? I'm more trying to locate all pubs in the vicinities of the murders.

Regards,
        Justin
        They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Justin,

Looks as though Monty has wandered off in search of a pub of his own. The Phyper's dissertation is here:

and it seems to include the info you want. It includes a link to Smithkey's article.

Comment

Here is a cool site. Look under Spitalfields, Whitechapel, Bethnal Green and Aldgate.

Comment

You know, the Still & Star pub down behind Harrow Alley (aka "Blood Alley"), Aldgate... How could patrons stand to drink there with the smell -- it was surrounded by slaughter houses and animal pens??

Comment

I was in the Still and Star just last week, Scott. Sad to say it still smells like that.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys!

Regards,
                  Justin

Comment

Working...
                  X