Previous Random Assaults of Women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous Random Assaults of Women?

I've read about some of the possible earlier victims of Jack the Ripper scuh as Annie Millwood, etc, but what about random knife/strangling attacks on prostitutes in the area during 1888?

The Yorkshire Ripper continued having random attacks on women yet letting them survive during kills - so maybe JtR did too.

Any reports of these type attacks available? I know that then, as with now, prostitutes may not have reported such incidents.

Off the top of my head there was Malvina Haynes in April 1888. There is no proof she was a prostitute but it was a odd attack

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=1309

Then there was the un-named victim attacked during September, between Chapman and the double event. She was a prostitute who nearly had her throat cut.
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Thank you very much for that, Uncle Jack.

Very interesting. Never heard of Malvinia haynes case before.

I wonder if there is any reports of attempted strangulation cases in or around the time?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
        Off the top of my head there was Malvina Haynes in April 1888. There is no proof she was a prostitute but it was a odd attack

Discussion of other or multiple victims, or any threads that wouldn't fit under one specific victim forum.

Then there was the un-named victim attacked during September, between Chapman and the double event. She was a prostitute who nearly had her throat cut.
        Hi All,
        Would this be Margaret Hames, a fellow lodger of Emma Smith's? She reported an attack on her on the same night as Smith.
        All the best
        Dave
        When you talk to god it's praying; when god talks to you its schizophrenia! - X-Files

Comment

I'm not sure to be honest. I do not know enough about Margaret Hames to comment but I am under the impression that she was not married.
          Best regards,
          Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Margaret Hames

Hi Adam, Hi All,

I've read something recently about Margaret Hames and I can't think where. What I do remember is that she had several alias's, so it could be possible that your lady is the same person. The dates fit. If I remember where I found the info, I'll post it here.

As a point of interest there was another assault on the same night as Poll Nichols. It appears to have happened about 1 am possibly the one reported by Mrs Collwell.

All the best
            Dave
            When you talk to god it's praying; when god talks to you its schizophrenia! - X-Files

Comment

Margaret Hames

Hi Adam, Hi All,

I've read something recently about Margaret Hames and I can't think where. What I do remember is that she had several alias's, so it could be possible that your lady is the same person. The dates fit. If I remember where I found the info, I'll post it here.

As a point of interest there was another assault on the same night as Poll Nichols. It appears to have happened about 1 am possibly the one reported by Mrs Collwell.

All the best
              Dave

Sorry I've double posted, my internet connection dropped out
              Last edited by Dave James; 01-29-2010, 01:23 AM. Reason: **** up

Comment

It would be surprising that he attacked some of other women and weren't successful---JtR was a fledging killer with each attack being more and more frenzied and complete. Look at what he did to Polly Nichols compared to Mark Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman992 View Post
                  It would be surprising that he attacked some of other women and weren't successful---JtR was a fledging killer with each attack being more and more frenzied and complete. Look at what he did to Polly Nichols compared to Mark Kelly.
                  Hi all.

Why surprising, Gman?
                  Peter Sutcliffe, for instance, wasn't always 'successful'.
                  Why does Jack the Ripper have to be a Terminator type character that never makes mistakes or errors?

Hi Dave, the attack that Sarah Colwell reported: It was around midnight on the night of Polly Nichols murder as far as I remember.
                  Was there any follow up on that in the press on it?

Comment

Hi JackDaw,

I found this comment in the news reports pages on this site:

LLOYD'S WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SEPT. 2, 1888.
                    1 September 1888 The people living in Brady-street were thrown into a state of excitement on the terrible news spreading. Brady-street is a long thoroughfare that runs to the left from the bottom of Buck's-row. Early on Friday morning fresh blood stains were observed for quite a distance along the side walks. There would be drop after drop two or three feet, and sometimes six feet apart for a distance, and then a larger pool or splash. As soon as the murder became known a lively interest was taken in these blood-stains, and they began to be traced. They were soon found to be on both sides of the street, and it was afterwards seen that the bleeding person had travelled or been carried in a zig-zag line. The trail was easily followed down Brady-street for 150 yards to Honey's-mews. In front of the gateway there was a large stain, looking as if the bleeding person had fallen against the wall and lain there. From here to the foot of Buck's-row, in which the body was found, the trail of blood was clearly marked. It was wet on Friday morning, and at noon, although the sun had dried it, and there had been many feet passing over it, it was still plainly discernible. The zig-zag direction it took crossing and re-crossing the street was and is a matter of mystery. In the space of a hundred yards the woman crossed the narrow street twice, and whenever she crossed a larger stain of blood in place of the drops indicated that she had stopped.
                    Our representative discovered, however, on making inquiries the same night, that at a house near where the blood spots were a man, early on the morning of the tragedy, had made a murderous assault on his wife and cut her throat. She was carried to the London hospital, and it is very probable some blood dripped from her.

It might relate to this, but I'm not sure:

Lloyd's Weekly 9 Sept 1888
                    RUFFIANLY ASSAULT.
                    Henry Hummerston, 32, labourer, Key-street, Hoxton was charged, on remand, at Worship-street police-court, on Wednesday, with having assaulted and attempted to murder Eliza Smith. - The prosecutrix, a young woman, said she had been cohabiting with the prisoner for about two years. He had often assaulted her, and on this occasion he returned home the worse for drink, and, having a black eye, asked her who had done it. She told him she didn't know, but supposed he had quarrelled with somebody when drunk. From that he began to abuse her, and said she had done it. He struck her and got her down. She escaped from him and ran downstairs. He pursued her, and she ran into the backyard. Then he attacked her again and knocked her down. He kicked her in the mouth and in the body. Whilst she was down he threw himself upon her, and she saw that he had a knife in his hand. (The prosecutrix produced it - it was a table-knife with a large blade.) He drew it across her throat (the prosecutrix exhibited a slight cut passing half-way round her throat on the right side), and said that he meant making a "second Buck's-row murder" of it. She was rescued by the neighbours, who witnessed part of the assault. The magistrate sent for some of these witnesses, and they corroborated the prosecutrix as to the assault in the yard, and the prisoner's threat. At the same time it seemed that he had the woman quite in his power, and could have more seriously injured her. - Prisoner was now sent to six months' hard labour.

It could be the follow up to the assault. It seems to me that the Colwell story and Dr Phillips remark that at first he didn't think Polly had been killed where she was found was responsible for a lot of police time being wasted investigating away from the crime scene. It was also responsible for some of the wilder 1970's theories of the Ripper killing in a travelling coach and the bodies being dumped at the various sites.

All the best
                    Dave
                    Last edited by Dave James; 01-30-2010, 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks again for that , Dave.

I going through the newspaper reports from the time myself right now.

I'm surprised that 'Henry Hummerston' has hasn't been suspected of some of the Ripper murders - seeing as practically everyone who ever lived in London seemingly has!

Comment

Working...
                      X