Thomas Ede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Ede

Besides coroner Wynn Baxter's opinion of this witness can anyone shed light on why specifically he was thought of as a non critical witness? I would also like to know more about why Baxter had his misgivings. Thank You. Respectfully Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Hi Dave

Perhaps it was just because he saw a man with a knife on the morning of Annie Chapman's murder. This was pretty much when the Whitechapel Murders took off with mass panic etc. and the authorities were possibly looking for every lead they could get their hands on at this time... any port in a storm, as they say.

JB

Comment

Thank you sir. I suspect there is a great deal of what we would consider pertinent information that the authorities of the day thought inconsequential. Respectfully Dave

Comment

maybe an awnser

Ede identified a man as the one he saw. The prominence of this witness seems to hinge on the identity of that man. Dave

Comment

James

Hello Dave. The man Eade identified was Henry James. He was SUPPOSED to be a harmless lunatic. Not sure how we arrive at the "harmless" bit.

Was he really carrying a knife or just some object that gleamed in the sun?

Did Abberline ever question James?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
            Thank you sir. I suspect there is a great deal of what we would consider pertinent information that the authorities of the day thought inconsequential. Respectfully Dave
            Hi Dave

One of the problems with this case is that there is an overload of information. Too many witness statements, too many suspects, too many tips coming into the police. I think it's very likely that the police had trouble sorting through it all, that they were often misled by potentially useful sounding information that turned out to lead to dead ends, and that, yes, occasionally they may have for one reason or another rejected genuinely useful leads to follow up something else.

Best regards

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
            X