Sir Alfred Danes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Alfred Danes

Could somebody please help me identify Sir Alfred Danes.
    supposedly Superintendant, Met Police?

I saw this name in the following context..

Book.. East End 1888 by Professor William (Bill) J. Fishman.
    First published 1988, Gerald Duckworth and Co. Ltd
    Republished by Five Leaves publications, 2005, and 2009.
    Page 278.

Fishman was quoting from Frank Owen's book, Tempestuous Journey: Lloyd George and His Times (London 1954) pp 63-64

"....This was brought home vividly to the young Lloyd George who had caught a glimpse of it when, with a fellow Welshman, Sir Alfred Danes, the Caernarvon-born Superintendant of the Metropolitan Police, he made an expedition to the scenes of "Jack's" recent operations. He was apparently fascinated....

Can anyone help?

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi Phil
    Can't find anything under this name so far. However it may be significant - especially bearing in mind the fact we are talking about a Welsh born man - that some of the "hits" on newspapers searches on the name DANES proved to be misreadings of the name DAVIES.
    If this info was taken from a transcribed paper source that had not been checked against the original, you may well be looking for a "Sir Alfred Davies."
    Just a thought
    Chris

Comment

Hello Chris,

This is a puzzle. It was the word "Caernarvon" that hit me between the eyes.
      Ok Lloyd George has that connection... but it is the only reference in JTR apart from MJK herself to the place.

Thank you for trying for me. It has me flummoxed for the moment.

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Chris,

Just found this, a contemporary of Lloyd George..

Sir Alfred T. Davies (1861-1949). Permanent Secretary to the Welsh Department of the Board of Education, 1907-25.

best wishes

Phil

Stop Press edit:-

The Lloyd George I Knew and the Story of the Welsh Department by Sir Alfred T. Davies (Hardcover - 1977)

This sounds likely. Seems like a reprint of an old book, as Davies died in 1949.

Alfred Davies, elected as MP for, wait for it... Camarthen, Liberal. 1900---here we go again.
        Last edited by Phil Carter; 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM.
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
        X