Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second-hand folktales about Druitt at Blackheath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second-hand folktales about Druitt at Blackheath.

Over on the Ripper folk tales thread, I casually mentioned a hand-me-down story passed on third hand about a supposed Ripper connection with Blackheath. Lynn C. naturally asked for more details.

A genealogy researcher colleague of mine about twenty years ago, got a letter from a fellow genealogist who was doing the family tree of her London O'Connor family.They had some connection with life-boat rescues.

The O'Connor children dropped the "O" and became "Connor".

One son was a policeman in the 1930's in the Blackheath area.

One day, another policeman and he were travelling through Blackheath when the other (unnamed) policeman saidpointing) "See that house there?
    P.C. Connor replied: "Yes".
    The other continued: " Well that's where " Jack the Ripper " lived".

As usual, a tantalising, half-a-story yarn.Which may or may not have basis in fact.I do not know where the informant resided nor any further details.

It is possible ther other P.C. might have read G.R.Sims' newspaper column in which he linked Blackheath with the Ripper back in 1913(?).

As they are saying over on the JTR folktale thread...."there are many stories in the big city of London....this is just another of them..." JOHN RUFFELS.

Hi John..

Probably pointed out Valentine's School...

I'm hoping to continue my research on Druitt in Blackheath,digging amongst the local papers of 1888,in 2010.
    I have got some lovely photo's of Blackheath Station as it would have been in 1888 from our local heritage centre..even has the window Druitt would have bought his ticket from...I can remember it looking the same in the 70's..before they tore it apart for "modernisation".I also have all the local reports of the murders..perhaps Monty read them!...now there's a thought!
    Should have grabbed as much as I could of the old fixtures and fittings,
    before they got chucked onto a skip..but hadn't realised they were going to do the refit...doh!
    ANNA.

Comment

tales

Hello John. This is interesting indeed. I trust you and the Rev Andy will eventually unearth the source for these stories. In particular, the chronology and provenance of these tales should prove informative--whichever way they turn out.

All the best of luck this new year.
      LC

Comment

More Strength To All Our Arms In 2010!

Hello Lynn and Anna,

Thank you both for your kind respondings.

Firstly, Anna: Your on-the-ground detective work actually in the Blackheath area may yet turn up unexpected dividends.

From the glimpses of LVP Blackheath views which you have kindly previously posted here, the village atmosphere; the gloomy winter landscape with ice on the pond; houses in darkness; the streets almost deserted..I think, invokes a most evocative backdrop for a lone train traveller with a Season Ticket to
        London, and a pair of kid skin gloves....

What a shame the station ticket office has been gutted..(Oh dear, poor choice of phrase ...oo-err).

Nevertheless, if you find anything published in the local papers which seems curious or not-mentioned-elsewhere, please pass it on, I for one, should be most interested. Thanks Anna.

Lynn,

Thanks for your ever-positive comments on the Druitt/Blackheath folk-tale.

Of course, like lots of yarns retailed on these boards, this may deflate into another nothing-story.

Nonetheless, ye never know.....( As the Scotsman in Dad's Army used to say...).

Have you got hold of the Bumper Christmas edition of Ripperologist (Number 100 or 110(?)) it is fantastic, full of wonderful LVP illustrations; a great outline of British Christmas customs and traditions...even lots of FOOD details.

Aparently mince pies once contained meat as well as fruit,and Cromwell passed a law banning the eating of mince pies on Sundays. (Needless to say, this boosted the popularity of this medieaval treat to the all-time popularity, which it still enjoys to this day!). JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

mince meat

Hello John. Thank you, as always.

Yes, I have that edition. My late mum ALWAYS put bits of beef in the mince pie--literally, mince meat.

Please keep us up to date on Druitt as I'm sure you will.

The best.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            My late mum ALWAYS put bits of beef in the mince pie--literally, mince meat.
            My mother's dyslexic - she puts mice in hers.

Sorry, that's not strictly true... but why let facts get in the way of a joke?
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

aw, rats

Hello Sam. Nice one. Sorry, I must scurry off after that cheesy remark.

The best.
              LC

Comment

Working...
              X