The news from WhiteChapel, Jack the Ripper in the Daily telegraph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The news from WhiteChapel, Jack the Ripper in the Daily telegraph

I am reading this book I just bought. It is written by Alexander Chrisholm, Christopher-Micheal DiGrazia, and Dave Yost.

Its is a account of the five canonicle murders as they were seen in the daily telegraph.
    Showing the inquests and headlining storys at the time.
    It even corrects what the papers got wrong.
    Paul Begg forewords it.

I have to say its a nice book to have for any ripper Investigator.
    Any comments or reviews??

yours truly
    Last edited by corey123; 12-26-2009, 05:56 AM.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

I read this a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it, and could have sworn I had posted a review!

It's a great book, enjoyable, informative, and you have made a great purchase.
    Regards Mike

Comment

I am still in the process of reading it and I pretty much agree with your statement.
      It was well worth the money.
      I am enjoying it quite a bit.

yours truly
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

I bought this book when it first came out and it proved an invaluable research tool alongside Evans & Skinner's 'Ultimate JTR Companion/Sourcebook', which provided inquest testimony from the Times. As you may know, many papers had their own people at the inquests reporting, and some did better jobs than others. The inquest testimony that appears here on the Casebook is from the Daily Telegraph and the press reports section is full of coverage from other papers. So, now adays, that's what I use. But right now as I'm working on an essay for Ripperologist, I have my trusty copy of 'News From Whitechapel' right next to my computer. I'm glad you found this book and had the good sense to buy it instead of one of the latest crappy theory books.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks

I also agree with yours statement.
          What supprised me about this book is the two photographs of Annie chapmans daughters, which I had never seen befor, truly an interesting read and as you say, and invaluable research tool.

yours truly.
          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

Are you aware that some years ago Neal Shelden discovered an earlier in life photo of Annie Chapman herself? It's probably somewhere here on the Casebook. There's been a number of excellent photographic discoverings in the last 10 years, and there promises to be more in 2010. But I recommend you track down Neal's book which has all of his findings, including numerous photographs of descendants of the Ripper's victims and, of course, the photo of Chapman.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Are you refering to the picture taken 1869 with her late husband?
              If you aren't then no Im not aware of them and will look into that book.

thanks
              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

That's the one.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

yes

that photo is also presented in the book on pg.42.

yours truly
                  Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thanks for pointing this one out Corey. I have some Christmas money to spend on books so I will look this one out now!
                    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

your welcom

Kate,

It is a very interesting book, worth a look at.

Hope you like it.
                      Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                      X