"The Detestable Dr Tumblety": 1881 Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Detestable Dr Tumblety": 1881 Article

Here's another peculiar mention of Dr T, this time from an 1881 journal devoted to Science & Literature-

A reference to "the detestable Dr Tumblety" suddenly pops up in the midst of a detailed discussion on the various health properties of Figs!

Cheers, Archaic
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Here's another peculiar mention of Dr T, this time from an 1881 journal devoted to Science & Literature-

A reference to "the detestable Dr Tumblety" suddenly pops up in the midst of a detailed discussion on the various health properties of Figs!

Cheers, Archaic
    Archaic,

This leads to a question. Tumblety was well known by British authorities for all of his overseas exploits and rumored exploits, so why did he not make the British papers as he did in the U.S.? Was there any mention of Tumblety in British papers? Was Scotland Yard so convinced that he had nothing to do with the Ripper murders that the papers followed suit? Could it be that the only reason why Tumblety made the U.S. papers is because he was a homegrown U.S. suspect in the world’s most popular murder mystery? Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hi, Mike.

I'm not a Tumblety expert, so I can't answer all your questions, but I have been asking myself similar questions.

Dr. T was covered in the the American, Canadian, and British press. If you go to 'Suspects' in the Casebook menu on the left-hand side of your screen, the Tumblety page has a long list of press reports going back to I believe September 1857.

On another Tumblety thread in this forum I posted an April 1857 U.S. journal article about him,
      & I think I also put a link to the archived Press Reports there.

So there is definitely press coverage of Tumblety going back over 30 years before the Whitechapel Murders.

I just put these Tumblety articles up because I found them intriguing and they didn't seem to have been posted before;
      hopefully another member will come along and answer your questions more fully.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Working...
      X