should I continue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I continue?

I am roughly half way through Peter Underwood's Jack the Ripper and I rather suspect that the best part ( using the term loosely) is past. Should I invest anymore effort at this point? Respectfully Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Underwood gets some bad press because his is one of the centenary books and he makes quite a few sloppy errors; but, if you're already half way through I'd say, yeah, go ahead and finish it. It's not a long book, so what the heck. Some of the photos are interesting and his chapter on Ripper writers which comes, I think, toward the end is worth reading.

Comment

Thank You. His raving endorsement of McCormick and his tendency towards saying "scarcely changed since the time of the ripper" have put me off. I will soldier on however. Respectfully Dave

Comment

I am done at page 112, " Donald McCormick"s Identity of Jack the Ripper is generally regarded as one of the best, if not the best,published works on the ripper,as a source of factual information, up to the present time." I can go no further. Respectfully Dave

Comment

If you are new to this case save this book until you have a solid grasp of the facts. Your time would be much better spent reading casebook. Respectfully Dave

Comment

" Donald McCormick"s Identity of Jack the Ripper is generally regarded as one of the best, if not the best,published works on the ripper,as a source of factual information, up to the present time."

This is still true. Too many cranks like Evans and Begg out there nowadays. I'll stick with McCormick, who to date is the only Ripper writer who thought it a good idea to put words into the mouth of Albert Bachert in order to support his theory. That takes true cajones. Such cajones have scarcely changed since the time of the Ripper.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I recently bought an old copy of McCormick's 'The Red Barn Mystery'. The photo of him on the back is utterly sinister.

Comment

Thanks Tom, that surely made me chuckle hardily!

Comment

That's the first Ripper book I read. It was the only one the shop had

Comment

You have my sincerest sympathies. Dave

Comment

It has it's moments. Have you read the Ghost Stories part

Comment

he factual elements might be a little thin on the ground but I quite enjoyed this book, especially the ghost stories, wether they are true or not!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X