The Elephant Man, dir: David Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elephant Man, dir: David Lynch

I just saw this movie last night, and just thought I would post briefly on it. First, it is a great movie I think. Very sad, yet Merrick is portrayed so sympathetically that you cannot help but empathize with him. He really seems like such a nice person. Great performances by all, especially John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins. But also Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud, Hannah Gordon (who played Virginia Bellamy in season 5 of Upstairs Downstairs), and also Freddy Jones who was excellent as Bytes.

"I am not an animal! I am a human being! I...am...a man!"

Great great film. Also, visually the film is stunning, thanks to David Lynch's great artistry as a director, and visual artist. I can think of no film that has portrayed Whitechapel and environs circa 1888 in such an atmospheric and powerful way. And I think the movie is at least fairly accurate in conveying a sense of Whitechapel as it was, or perhaps more accurately, how it felt.

A few points... the portrayal of the London Hospital was interesting, and I am just wondering if anyone knows how accurate the film is visually on this point... the gas jets, the patient wards, Merrick's seclusion ward, etc.

Also, it is interesting that there was some debate over whether or not to allow Merrick in the hospital at all. Presumably this is because the London Hospital's mission was to cure the sick... and Merrick was clearly uncurable, and was considered simply a "freak"... indeed Dr. Treves was criticized as a "freak collector".

Also, I found on Merrick's wikipedia entry that "At one point during his sideshow career, Merrick was exhibited in the back of an empty shop in Whitechapel (259 Whitechapel Road, E1 - now called the Ukay London Sari Centre)" -- I was wondering if anyone has been to the Saree centre, and whether the interior retains any of the old character of the "empty shop" where Merrick was exhibited. Maybe someone could go on a photo outing and post pictures...

Thanks.

Rob House

A very touching scene from the film:

Comment

Photo of 259 Whitechapel Road

Hi, Rob.

I haven't seen that film yet, but it sounds like one worth watching.

I'm very glad you said that it was sympathetic to Merrick and portrayed him as a real human being, because if it didn't I know I couldn't
      bear to watch it.

Here's a web-page for you with a photo of the Sari Centre now occupying 259 Whitechapel Road.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Rob,

As a white male, I was very self concious of entering the sari shop. However, I was seeing a Gujurti girl some years ago and did persuede her to go in with me as a cover.

It was wall to wall clothing, and very high too, so really couldnt see much of the structure.

The film was very true to life re the scenery. Not exact but near as.

Only problem, for me, was the use of his name. Theres no evidence he, nor anyone, used the name John.

One interesting fact is that he had been in hospital before. In his 20s he had a growth removed from his nose. The op was conducted at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. I keep meaning to see if I can gain access to their archives but never got around to it.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Only problem, for me, was the use of his name. Theres no evidence he, nor anyone, used the name John.
          Hi Monty

I`m sure that it was Dr Treves who referred to Joseph as John, either in his note or in a book, written much later in Treve`s life. Perhaps, it was some sort of patient confidentiallity.

Comment

I did read somewhere that Merricks life in the "freak show" was quite comfortable. As comfortable as a freak show attraction can be I suppose. It was only when they were banned in Britain that he became destitute.

Comment

Jason,

Sam Torr was approached by Merrick who wished to exhibit himself.

Torr looked after his major asset well, until Merrick chose to leave for the more lucrative european stage....which unfortunately didnt work out for Merrick who return broke and destitute.

Monty
              Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                I`m sure that it was Dr Treves who referred to Joseph as John, either in his note or in a book, written much later in Treve`s life.
                You think right, Jon.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Much of the film is very much a fictionalisation. A lot of Merrick's life is not accurately depicted - but other things are.

I can say, unreservedly and hand on heart, it is my favourite film of all time. That said, I haven't been able to watch it for many years because I am sobbing from the very start to the very end - and the end of the film is about the most gut-wrenching end of a film I've ever seen. Even thinking about it can put me in tears. It's mawkish and sentimental - but I don't consider that a bad thing.

You probably know that one of Merrick's masks and one of his amazingly detailed models are on display at the Hospital museum.

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Me too, Phil. I can't bear to look at the scene where Michael Elphick brings those visitors into Merrick's room.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I agree Phillip with your sentiments. I found the film heart wrenching, especially that last scene. Also the scene where Dr. Treves' wife starts bawling while Merrick is saying he wished his mother might see him now, with such nice friends, and that she might be able to love him still. Jeez.

We are a bunch of softies after all.

Rob H

Comment

Oh, my goodness, thanks for warning me that it's a tear-jerker! I'll make sure to watch it by myself with a large box of Kleenex.

Don't tell anyone, but I cry when I watch 'Bambi' or 'Lassie Come Home'.

If you really want to test your sensitivity, try watching 'Where The Red Fern Grows'. It's a wonderful book and movie about a country boy and his two dogs, but I think I can guarantee that you will be on the floor before the final scene, especially if you love animals.

> Insert "sobbing" emoticon here <

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Incidentally, you can watch the whole movie online for free (with "limited commercial interruption")

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                            Hi Monty

I`m sure that it was Dr Treves who referred to Joseph as John, either in his note or in a book, written much later in Treve`s life. Perhaps, it was some sort of patient confidentiallity.
                            Hey Jon,

Sorry, missed your post.

If thats the case then I stand corrected.

Cheers
                            Monty
                            Monty

Comment

Guys

Some of the family still live in Leicestershire, and I think a branch is now out in the US.

His home is now a piece of wasteland car park in Leicester. Behind the Jobcentre and next to the Indian restaurant. The Workhouse is now an artifical football pitch and his Uncles barbers shop is buried under the Customs & Excise building/Plummers....specializing in Jaccuzis.

The theatre where Merrick first exhibited himself was sadly demolished earlier this year. They are building flats upon it and will name the building Merrick House. A nice touch is that some of the theatres decoration will be included in these new flats.

Get the latest news from Leicester and around the UK. Breaking news & headlines, live blogs, video, pictures and in-depth comment & analysis from Leicestershire Live news team.

And the Gaitey as was and as the site stands today.

Cheers
                              Monty
                              Attached Files
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X