Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East London Cemetery

Hello all,

During a recent (brief) trip back home to London I set out to uncover a few 'Ripper' related locations I had not yet visited, unfortunately I didn't manage to tick all of them off my list and the victim's graves were amongst those that must wait for next time. I did get some good photos which I am scratching my head over trying to upload at the minute, but that's another story...

However when I was planning out my wanderings I came across Andrew Aspallek's excellent essay on finding the graves, I will definitiely be using this as my reference when I do make it back. However I couldn't help but notice his rather torturous route from West Ham station to the East London cemetery for Stride's grave. My family are from this area of the East End and I immediately spotted this is far from the quickest route possible.

As I said I haven't paced this route out but it comes from local knowledge and I have checked it with google maps too as I write this (postcodes E13 0DY (station) to E13 0HB (cemetery) in case anyone wants a map themselves).

Here's my route:

To get to Plaistow station take the District or Hammersmith & City lines.

Come out of the station and turn right down Plaistow Road. Turn right before you cross the road, where there now appears to be a green 'costcutter' supermarket. This will take you down Upper Road, which you follow for 600 metres or so, it bends slightly to the left at which point you will see you are following the boundary of the cemetery (the park on your right is a seperate entity, don't be tempted by the gates). There are lots of roads going off down this stretch but ignore them all, you want to follow Upper Road until it finishes, going left and right at a 90 degree angle opposite some garages at which you turn right into Grange Road. Keep going along this road until you find the cemetery entrance on your right.

Should take about 5 mins.

Like I said, no disrespect to Andrew Aspallek's outstanding essay, just thought this might help some people.

TNB

Hello tnb

Thanks, tnb. Andrew's last name though is "Spallek." He is a fine researcher and writer.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Ah, A...Spallek. I see. No offence meant! Must wear my glasses more often...

He certainly is an excellent writer and researcher. And his directions are a damn sight better than mine would be for finding cemeteries in America.

Just thought I'd help, I am actually quite impressed he made it to the cemetery from West Ham. I wonder if Plaistow station was closed for refurbishment when he took his initial journey as I can't imagine why else anyone would advise him to get off there.

Comment

2 pictures of Liz Stride's grave taken last month, as I finally made it and for something approaching completeness:

(Follow the furthest branch of the tree on the left down to the grass) Canary Wharf in the background.

Comment

There didn't used to be a headstone on Elizabeth's grave, did there? Is this a relatively new addition, and do we know who erected it?

Comment

I thought that myself, as there certainly wasn't when Ian Griggs visited:

But the same headstone as I saw was there when the photo on her Wiki page was taken, I think by John Bennett:

As for who put it there I do not have a clue - but the fact that someone, at some point, has did not escape my attention, as I am currently trying to work out the legal issues regards erecting some kind of marker for Frances Coles, in the same cemetery, so if they have allowed someone to do so for Stride then that is promising - obviously the fact Coles' gravesite is completely unmarked is somewhat of a complication!

Comment

Hello you all!

Noticed this thing now!

Nice, that there is a headstone now!

All the best
              Jukka
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
              X