Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mann

Hello. Who is this chap?

An historian has claimed to have discovered the real identity of Jack the Ripper, and believes the notorious Whitechapel murderer was also responsible for killing two more women.

LC

Quoted from this article:

Trow makes another startling conjecture, that the Ripper killed another two women.

He believes Martha Tabram, found with 39 stab wounds to her body in Gunthorpe Street, was the first of Jack's victims, and Alice Mackenzie, brutally murdered eight months after the confirmed five killings, was his last.

Startling conjecture? Hardly! I never read a ripper book yet that hasn't mentioned these two women as [I]possible[I] victims.

I also find the idea that the killer must have had a deprived background and eminated 'most probably from a broken home' slightly offensive. After all, many, many people growing up at this time may have been orphaned or suffered some sort of hardship and the great majority of them grew up as respectable adults. It does not automatically follow that chilhood trauma leads to abnormal behaviour in adulthood.

Nothing in this article is new, except perhaps for the name Robert Mann that just seems to have been plucked from the records to fit into the profile they have built for the killer in order to satisfy a 'psychological explanation' for the killings.

Comment

testimony

Hello Limehouse. Agreed. Life is what you make of it.

I looked up this chap. His testimony was given at the Nichols inquest. Seems rather harmless.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hey! I've been saying that Tabram was a victim for years. I want some royalties.

The famous FBI profile is a combination of common sense and formula. If the murderer was a local, then he was probably of the lower classes. As for the storied bad childhood, by today's standards who in Whitechapel had a good childhood?
        Mags

Comment

At least Trow's suggestion that Robert Mann was JtR isn't as far-fetched as some of the other ideas we've heard. My major concern is Mann's age. I don't have access to my books at the moment so I can't check, but I have the impression that Mann was no spring chicken---rather long in the tooth to suddenly take up serial murder.

Comment

sed contra

Hello Maurice. Look on the bright side. We can post on some new threads and take a holiday from reading "The Cricketeer's Gazette" and close our "101 Polish Verbs Conjugated in all their Tenses." (snicker!)

The best.

LC

Comment

mann's age would be my biggest concern,but as for the fbi's "expert" profiling,i am no expert on serial murder,fbi agent,forensic psychologist or what have you,but i have always thought that jack was in all probability,a local man,white male,youngish,25 to 40,and was most likely employed in a menial job where a knife was probably involved,fish porter,slaughterhouse worker etc..i don't think you have to be a genius to come to that conclusion. this man obviously knew the area,well,and was inconspicious enough to blend in easily with those around him.
              Last edited by Allan; 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Were the inmates of workhouses really allowed to roam the streets at all hours?

Comment

Even with these so called expert profilers its still very much hit and miss. In fact most people if they sat and thought about it long and hard could probably come up with a profile that could match.

I am afraid I am like Stewart Evans we are from the old school never had these in our day, and still we managed to detect the crimes using conventional policing methods !!!!!!!.

maybe Mr Mann did remove the organs from Chapman but not at the scene or after killing her but at the mortuary
                  Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 10-06-2009, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
                    i have always thought that jack was in all probability,a local man,white male,youngish,25 to 40,and was most likely employed in a menial job where a knife was probably involved,fish porter,slaughterhouse worker etc... this man obviously knew the area,well,and was inconspicious enough to blend in easily with those around him.
                    I agree with you, Allan. Sadly, if we apply those criteria only we only narrow down the field to something of the order of tens of thousands of men
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Originally posted by Allan
                      i have always thought that jack was in all probability,a local man,white male,youngish,25 to 40,and was most likely employed in a menial job where a knife was probably involved,fish porter,slaughterhouse worker etc... this man obviously knew the area,well,and was inconspicious enough to blend in easily with those around him.
                      I agree with you, Allan. Sadly, if we apply those criteria only we only narrow down the field to something of the order of tens of thousands of men
                      And those tens of thousands wouldn't include Robert Mann, who was apparently well into his 50s at the time of the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Were the inmates of workhouses really allowed to roam the streets at all hours?
                        Of course, … they were not!

Mann appears to have lived most of his life in the facility that was the Whitechapel Union Workhouse from ~1842 to 1872, and the Whitechapel Union Infirmary thereafter. He is listed as either a resident 'inmate' or 'pauper' in each of the census-years 1851, 1871 and 1881.

Having been a mortuary attendant in the autumn of 1888, he had obviously been granted certain responsibilities. Perhaps he had also been granted a certain degree of passage, with which he was able to occasionally 'come-and-go'. But he most certainly would have been held accountable for his 'comings-and-goings'; and it is absolutely unthinkable that he would have been granted any sort of passage between the hours of midnight and 6:00AM.

Robert Mann is a non-starter!

Comment

I think you rather over state the case, Colin. Sugden describes Mann as the "keeper" of the mortuary. Bodies would, no doubt, show up at various times of the day and night. Not all of them would have been victims of murder, but all would require attention. I suspect that Mann, as the mortuary attendant, would have had more freedom of movement than most inmates.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                            I think you rather over state the case, Colin.
                            No, I do not!

Bodies would, no doubt, show up at various times of the day and night. Not all of them would have been victims of murder, but all would require attention.
                            Therein lay his 'responsibilities', not his 'passage'.

I suspect that Mann, as the mortuary attendant, would have had more freedom of movement than most inmates.
                            In light of the fact that most inmates had no "freedom of movement", whatsoever; I think I have already acknowledged as much.
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Well, I guess that put me in my place. I'm now suitably chastised. I was only suggesting that Trow has put forward a new, and rather interesting, suspect. You, on the other hand, might want to ask your GP about the possible benefits of Valium.

Comment

Working...
                              X