Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the most common age of a typical unfortunate in Whitechapel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the most common age of a typical unfortunate in Whitechapel?

Does anyone know what the median age of "unfortunates" was in the east end at the time of the killings? The relative youthfulness of Mary Kelly is so marked next to the rest of the C5 victims.

What spurred this question was watching episodes 2-4 of the "Barlow & Watt Investigate JtR" series yesterday; I thought the recreations were excellent(given their budget especially, which can't have been too much), and how novel it was to see the victims represented as their actual ages, rather than the Hammer/Hollywood versions one usually sees.

There was one scene in the Ten Bells where one of the witnesses was enacting her press interview about Mary Kelly; the witness was shown as yet another blowsy old dame, and I found myself wondering how many of the Ten Bell's patrons were young(er) than she, if many-or any. I realize that obviously not all pubgoers were prostitutes...but the hardcore drinkers seemed to have often got into a situation (via drink) where the odd pickup became a necessity for their survival.

As to that pub sequence again: it also makes me wonder-given the equalizer of such extreme poverty, would a casual "unfortunate" be at all shunned by an equally poor woman of more respectable lifestyle in Whitechapel-i.e., say, a coffee-shop operator's wife(as Stride was at one point)? Or would the need for trade and "getting along to get along" mean that there was a fellowship of sorts amongst the various women? Generally speaking, of course?

Just craving some more contemporary context and with my head full of seemingly very nonjudgemental witnesses in those inquest reports...

-JennyL

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
    Does anyone know what the median age of "unfortunates" was in the east end at the time of the killings?
    From a sample of 213 likely unfortunates registered at the Whitechapel Infirmary in 1888:

22 = median age of those describing themselves as "prostitute"

39 = median age of those describing themselves as "charwomen"

I include the latter because "charing" was sometimes taken as a euphemism for "unfortunate".
    Last edited by Sam Flynn; 09-14-2009, 02:54 AM.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

What are the stats for seamstresses, Gareth? From what I've read, that was a common euphemism too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        What are the stats for seamstresses, Gareth? From what I've read, that was a common euphemism too.
        Oddly enough, Maurice, there was only one in my entire sample (of 3,436 people - male and female), and she was aged 46.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Quite interesting, that. Ta very much.

Comment

Working...
          X