PDA

View Full Version : Rippercast Update

Ally
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
As many of you are aware, Rippercast is on TEMPORARY hiatus. After the host, editor and publisher Jonathon Menges moved to California, he found his time was consumed with new work commitments and priorities which made the scheduling and editing of Rippercast difficult to accommodate.

Two weeks ago, I agreed to take on the duties of editing and recording Rippercast. I am currently learning how to handle the technical aspects of Rippercast ( as such, the production quality might suffer a tad in the next couple of episodes until I get into the swing of things and we thank you for your patience.)

Rippercast is currently looking for Guest Hosts to take the place of Jonathon until such time as his schedule permits him to resume his duties. If you would like to Guest Host a podcast, be a panelist, or would like to suggest a topic, please send me a PM. Hopefully Rippercast will be back up and running by the end of the month, though it will have a reduced schedule. We will post a list of upcoming topics within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your continued interest.

JSchmidt
09-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the update Ally, I have been missing the podcast some fierce.

Bailey
09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Ally, all the best with taking over - twould be a tragedy to see Rippercast go belly up!

Tom_Wescott
09-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Some suggestions:

Pirate Jack interviewing Stewart Evans (for pure entertainment value).

Give Ben Holme an hour to talk about anything EXCEPT Hutch. Inquiring minds want to know.

A Neal Shelden/Dan Norder stand-off, mediated by Howard Brown. Now that would be sweet!

A Stride panel with AP Wolf, Fisherman, Perry Mason, and myself.

Strike that...a Stride panel with just me would be more productive.

Don Souden on how awesome it is to be Don Souden.

Pirate Jack on how awesome it is to be Paul Begg.

An All-Groupie panel featuring Ally, Pamela Des Barres and Sweet Connie.

I hope this helps.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

JennyL
09-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Congratulations on your new role, Ally! Not an insubstantial task to agree to take on. We who are new to the whole Ripperology scene-who learn a lot from the existing 'casts-salute you. :beerchug:

Jonathon Menges will be missed. I hope he can perhaps continue to call in & take part? Whenever the next Conference is he deserves a round of applause & foot-stomping from the hoi polloi. Thanks again Jon!

Tom_Wescott
09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
As long as the podcast stays in the control of Americans. That's what really matters.

:lol: :2thumbsup: :hiya: :kiss2:

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Cap'n Jack
09-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey Tom, long time no see and all that... why should the podcast be controlled by the 'Yankee Dollar'?
You want us all to wear orange jump suits and jump when you crack the electrical charge.
The future is bright, the future is orange.
Not when this monkey is about.

Tom_Wescott
09-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, the Mengemeister and Ally are both American. Coincidence? I think not. It's all about the 'Yankee Dollar', AP.

I am now Executive Producer of the Podcast.

I am now in control of all things.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Cap'n Jack
09-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Welcome news, Tom, is that you do not control alcohol.
So I'll have a double on you.

Supe
09-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Tom,

Don Souden on how awesome it is to be Don Souden.

If it only paid better--a whole lot better.

On a serious note, though, it really is not a humorous subject for Neal Shelden and Norder's other creditors.

Don.

JennyL
09-04-2009, 02:10 AM
As long as the podcast stays in the control of Americans. That's what really matters.
Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
:laugh4:

Seriously, I was listening to one of the rippercasts yesterday, ruminating on how refreshing it was to hear the UK & Welsh (and one Canadian) voices outnumber our american ones on a podcast or radio--a nice aural change. The UK voices particularly represent a range I don't often hear on the BBC or at work(where nearly everyone seems to come from either London or Manchester).
I just enjoy accents on the ear-Philly too, Howard. :pleased:

Archaic
09-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi, Jenny.

I agree with you, I really enjoy hearing all the different accents.

I was born a California girl, so unfortunately I don't even have an accent... sigh...... :lol:

Best regards, Archaic

PS: Try to get Sam to talk Welsh to you- you'll love it! :)

Robert
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Re accents, I will never appear on a podcast but if I did, I would speak Unwinese.

Remarkabold!

Goodlibylode!

Monty
09-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh deep joy Robert

Archaic
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if somebody could come on and give an entire podcast speaking Ubbi Dubbi? (aka Double Dutch)

Rippercast could be a veritable Tower of Babble.

I mean, Bubabble. :scholar:

I think. :scratchchin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubbi_dubbi

Cheers, Archaic

Robert
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0QZQRTNr0

Archaic
09-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Okay, Robert, it's Duelling Gibberish Time! :2thumbsup:

Here's a small boy reciting Lincoln's entire Gettysburg Address in Ubbi Dubbi... not an easy thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOCQCwCkaMs

Bubye, Archaic

JennyL
09-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Ubbi-Dubbi?!

You're all dating yourselves...as am I. "Zooma-zooma-zooma-zoom". :lol:

Jeff Leahy
09-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Some suggestions:

Pirate Jack interviewing Stewart Evans (for pure entertainment value).

Pirate Jack on how awesome it is to be Paul Begg.

Tom Wescott

Hey I'm up for it! if you are Tom.

I've got my own edit suite....and I know how to use it :laugh4:

Now watching you all in full HD!

Pirate

Sam Flynn
09-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Oh deep joy Robert
Maximost joy, in the most fundamole meanyhow of the wormlode.

Robert
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I was going to unleash Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men but they're almost articulate compared with some of this.

Oh folly folly thorkus he.

Sam Flynn
09-06-2009, 02:17 AM
I was going to unleash Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men but they're almost articulate compared with some of this.
There's a connection, in this little-known poem by Wordswold:

I planted a pack of Unwin's seeds
And all I got was Little Weeds,
I voiced my plaint at the garden shop
But the boss told me to flobb-a-lopp.

The Grave Maurice
09-06-2009, 02:53 AM
I'd just like to point out that many of us have no idea what you guys are talking about; however, I, for one, knowing the sources, assume that it's interesting.

Sam Flynn
09-06-2009, 03:08 AM
I'd just like to point out that many of us have no idea what you guys are talking about; however, I, for one, knowing the sources, assume that it's interesting.
Professor Stanley Unwin tells the tale of Goldilocks (or, in Unwinese, "Goldyloppers and the Three Bearlodes") here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2iD-oNqD_I).

Bill & Ben ("The Flowerpot Men") in an exciting adventure with Dan the Potato Man here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfugqKsu7FE).

The Grave Maurice
09-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Ta, very much.

Archaic
09-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Hey, Sam... I just watched 'The Flowerpot Men'.

I watched episode 1, as episode 2 wasn't available.

I'm trying to decide if that was a Cold War experiment in Governmental Mind Control, or a televised acid-trip for children...

But now I understand you much better. :)

Cheers, Archaic

RJM
09-06-2009, 05:08 AM
:laugh4:

Seriously, I was listening to one of the rippercasts yesterday, ruminating on how refreshing it was to hear the UK & Welsh (and one Canadian) voices outnumber our american ones on a podcast or radio--a nice aural change.

Reduced to a parenthetical afterthought. How sad. I either need to post more or return to my Rippercast chair.

:flag_canada:

Magpie
09-06-2009, 08:47 AM
For all your ubbi dubbi needs*

http://pbskids.org/cgi-registry/zoom/ubbidubbi.cgi

*which I'm assuming are fairly limited

Monty
09-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Steering the ship back on course....

...it would be interesting to hear contributions from people like Tom and Don. I hope they will consider Allys initial post.

Monty
:)

sushka
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Great News Ally!

All the best with learning the ropes. Like many others here I have been really missing my rippercast!

Cheers

Sushka

Andrew Firth
09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, I'm looking forward to the resumption of Rippercast.

Is there a second podcast on the non-canonical murders still planned? I do hope so, as for me, the non C5 are just as interesting...

All the best
Andrew

Supe
09-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Monty,

it would be interesting to hear contributions from people like Tom and Don. I hope they will consider Allys initial post.

To Jonathan's credit I have had a standing invitation from the start, but have been stymied by a raggedy old computer. I am, however, near giddy at the prospect that the situation may soon change.

Don.

Sam Flynn
09-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Let's hope it does, Don (and Tom). I echo Monty's sentiments.

Archaic
09-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Is there a second podcast on the non-canonical murders still planned? I do hope so, as for me, the non C5 are just as interesting...

I agree; I'd love to hear "The Non-Canonical Victims, Part Two."

Thanks, Archaic

Ally
09-07-2009, 03:13 PM
As far as I know, there was actually a Non-can part two taped, but for some reason, it has never been released. Not really sure what the hold up is, but if it's not viable, I'll make sure getting a new one recorded and up is a priority.

Ben
09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Archaic,

As Ally mentioned, there was a non-canonical #2 recorded in which about four of us participated. As far as I know, it should be up and running once the editing is complete.

All the best,
Ben

Archaic
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Ally and Ben, I look forward to hearing it!

Best regards, Archaic

Tom_Wescott
09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the sentiments, Monty and Sam. Most appreciated coming from you guys. Like Don, I've had a standing invite from the beginning. But I'm not sure I'd have much to contribute. I'd probably just trip over my own tongue. Plus I need to start publishing again cuz at this point I'm more or less a hasbeen who never was.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Monty
09-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the sentiments, Monty and Sam. Most appreciated coming from you guys. Like Don, I've had a standing invite from the beginning. But I'm not sure I'd have much to contribute. I'd probably just trip over my own tongue. Plus I need to start publishing again cuz at this point I'm more or less a hasbeen who never was.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Tosh. Whilst we may disagree on some things Jack related, and God knows we have stood toe to toe and slugged it out (with you often coming worse off ;)), doesnt me I dont respect you.

Your Ripper Notes work on Stride and Openshaw letter has established you as stayer. You contribute to the field and contribute well...youre acknowledged in Letters From Hell for Gods sake.

Has been my arse.

Take up the challenge, you have something to say.

Monty

Tom_Wescott
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Tosh. Whilst we may disagree on some things Jack related, and God knows we have stood toe to toe and slugged it out (with you often coming worse off ), doesnt me I dont respect you.

Oh is that right? Well, then when I DO a webcast, perhaps we should go toe to toe once again? :)

Your Ripper Notes work on Stride and Openshaw letter has established you as stayer. You contribute to the field and contribute well..

Stop, you're making me blush. And I mean that. Did I write something on Openshaw?

youre acknowledged in Letters From Hell for Gods sake.

Yes, that was Stewart's generous way of offering me encouragement, I'm sure, since I contributed in no way to that work. I'm grateful for that to this day.

Has been my arse.

I have never been near your arse. :1tongue:

Take up the challenge, you have something to say.

I'm sure I'll eventually do a podcast. I really should publish some new stuff first, perhaps of Le Grand. I'm gearing up to buy a new comp and move all my notes over to it and should have some time to start pecking away again. Perhaps we should do a piece together sometime. Maybe on something nobody would expect us to write about.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Monty
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Ive always thought Queen Victoria had a shifty look in later years.

Monty

Magpie
09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I really should publish some new stuff first, perhaps of Le Grand.

JUST PUBLISH THE FREAKING BOOK ALREADY!!!!!

Geez!

:2thumbsup:

Tom_Wescott
09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Magpie! Long time, no see. I'll see what I can do. :hiya:

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Magpie
09-13-2009, 07:41 AM
I swear I'll come down to Oklahoma and take all your KISS CD's hostage....

:lol:

PoePixie
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I joined the forum to basically ask if the podcast was going to continue, since I couldn't find this thread right off. I'm glad it is going to continue. Great job Jonathon in doing so well with them and good luck with the "real life" thing :)

DirectorDave
09-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Rippercast is worth the wait, good luck Ally I hope hosting does not temper the queen of mean.

The Grave Maurice
09-17-2009, 03:30 AM
...I'll come down to Oklahoma....
What, you're telling me that Tom is from Oh............klahoma, where the wind comes whistlin' down the plain? I didn't know that. Someone should write a musical or something.

Sam Flynn
09-18-2009, 12:56 AM
What, you're telling me that Tom is from Oh............klahoma, where the wind comes whistlin' down the plain? I didn't know that. Someone should write a musical or something.
"Wescott Stride Story"? :)

The Grave Maurice
09-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Aaarrrgg. A stretch, maybe; but, as usual, you make me laugh.

You're too witty to be living in Wales. We could use you over here writing for North American television. Heaven knows, we need the help. We seem to have comedy writers with only half your ability, if you get my drift.

Archaic
09-18-2009, 02:05 AM
You're too witty to be living in Wales. We could use you over here writing for North American television.

Oh, dear, now Sam will be utterly incorrigible. :rolleyes2:

Best regards, Archaic

Sam Flynn
09-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Wish I could, Maurice! Maybe one day :)

Magpie
09-18-2009, 02:09 AM
"Wescott Stride Story"? :)

"LeGrand Hotel" ?

Magpie
09-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Wish I could, Maurice! Maybe one day :)

Maybe you could make your own way over here-- A choral incorrigable in coracle...

Sam Flynn
09-18-2009, 02:16 AM
A choral incorrigable in coracle...
That's spookily close to a form of Welsh alliterative metre called cynghanedd, Mags. You must have been a melancholy Celtic piss-head like me in a previous life :)

Magpie
09-18-2009, 02:19 AM
That's spookily close to a form of Welsh alliterative metre called cynghanedd, Mags. You must have been a melancholy Celtic piss-head like me in a previous life :)

Well, a quarter of my background is Welsh, so maybe it's a genetic thing:)

ianincleveland
09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
is looking forward to Rippercast having new episodes very shortly