The Germans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Germans

German Immigrants in Britain during the Nineteenth Century, 1815 - 1914, by Panikos Panayi 1995. This book by the professor at De Montfort University, Leicester, provides some interesting facts and figures.

Germans were the largest group of immigrants to Britain in the 1800's until eclipsed by the number of Russian Jews towards the end of the century. In 1891, there were 50,000 German-born in Britain, with over one half of those in London and 7,000 in the East End, which had four German Churches.

They were in all classes of life, from sugar bakers to businessmen, clerks, governesses and waiters. Classical musicians and brass bands who played on streetcorners. As World War I approached, public opinion turned against Germans.

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

So, if Carl Feigenbaum was Jack, he might've been able to establish German contacts while he was in London.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Did he mean "German" in the strictest sense, Roy - as in "echt Deutsch"? I only ask because I'm aware that the word "German" - like "Russian" - had rather a broader meaning in the 19th Century than it has in relatively recent times.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yes, Sam, Germans in the strictest sense, no broader interpetation. And to clarify, until late in the 1800's Germans formed the largest immigrant group within England and Wales after the Irish.

JTRSickert, yes, that could be so.
        Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 08-24-2009, 03:51 AM.
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
        X