Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for Honoring the Victims

Hello all,
    I thought of this idea while planning my donation to a local women's center- has anybody tried/thought of donating to a women's shelter, or similar cause, in honor of the Whitechapel victims, say, on the anniversaries of their deaths or something like that? Could be monetary or needed supplies, and I find that the local shelter is in great need of basics like hair care products/deodorant/baby care items, etc.

It occured to me that the anniversary of Tabram was fast approaching and I realized that we have no real way to honor those women, save for keeping them in our thoughts and such. I'm considering making donations to my local women's shelter, a donation for each of the women killed- I know there is great debate on who all are the "real" victims of JtR, but I figure on donating for all 11 of the Whitechapel Murder victims- to them it really didn't matter WHO killed them, they were murdered either way, and that's the real injustice I think- individuals preying on poverty stricken/alcoholic/sick women who were generally defenseless at the time of their deaths.

In any case, I wonder if anyone else would be interested in donating to their local shelters or other causes in honor of the victims- doesn't matter which victims you choose to include, as long as it's someone. Women's shelters seem especially important to me, considering that the victims were all female, generally poverty-stricken, many alcoholic and homeless and ill-treated by men.

I think that's an excellent idea, Felidos. Much more beneficial than putting up a plaque or something in Itchy Park.

Comment

I agree, I think that's a wonderful idea.

Comment

I agree, great idea!
        Me?
        For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

I'm glad people are receptive to the idea!

August 7th is fast approaching, so I'll get my plan together as to what I will do in honor of Tabram. I suspect this anniversary will be a monetary donation becase I don't have much time to gather supplies at the moment. Occasionally the women's shelter likes to receive toys/stuffed animals for the children of the abused women, but that is at only certain times when the toys are in high demand, like Christmas- mostly they need run-of-the-mill grocery/drugstore-type stuff and nothing fancy.

Comment

Pass the bucket

I really do not understand what any of the victims of the Whitechapel murderer did in their life times to be honoured. The only reason that we know about them today is because they were murdered, being a victim is not sufficient for people to ‘honour’ them. What about the other women who didn’t die at the Rippers hand? Are they less deserving of being honoured simply because they weren’t murdered?

Does your ‘honouring’ only apply to the canonical five because they were killed by someone famous – or more accurately infamous. What about Miriam Angel and Elizabeth Smith, can they get in on the act as well?

If you wish to make a charitable donation then please do so, but please don’t wrap it up in some sentimental nonsense about honouring victims.

Comment

I've just had one of those...'What should I post here' moments ....

I think we're talking about at least two very different things here...Many poor girls and women live out horrific lives and take refuge from abusive partners...they deserve our thoughts, our help... and OK if soft toys are requisite- so be it.

Now as to the victims of The Whitechapel Murderer- They were women who's lives we cannot begin to comprehend.. and shouldn't try to...and most certainly not romanticise their lives!!...Oliver it certainly wasn't!!!!!!

OK a couple of them began with a reasonable start- but look again at the lives of the majority ...we can have no idea of their day to day/ hand to mouth existence.

They sank into prostitution to fund their habit...OK that happens today- rarely for a tot of gin and a doss, but usually to fund a drug habit.

The working women today are invariably under the control of a 'pimp' who will 'guarantee' a roof/room for them if they come up with 'the business' then being provided with enough 'stuff', of very poor quality- to keep them going for a short time...usually until the next day, and the cold grey light of dawn/reality...... Often they have children of their own- staying with relatives- various......
              Their health suffers and life becomes a constant downhill struggle....

Not a lot changes there...

Now-
              As to this memorial... IMHO a plain and simple plaque or whatever in St Mary's churchyard would be simple and perfect- Maybe a fundraiser from our WS1888 Soc could work on that one.

Sorry for the rant...but I feel quite strongly about this one

Suz x
              Last edited by Suzi; 07-31-2009, 04:55 PM.
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Suzi

I think that the WS is already having talks with the Rev at Christchurch about a memorial.

Coral

Comment

Hi Coral
                  That's great news
                  .....keep me up to speed!

Suz x
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                  X