Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to trace details from a collar number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to trace details from a collar number?

I have seen today a photo of a police officer which is unfortunately undated.
    The studio portrait shows the officer in full uniform and both his collar and his helmet, which is on the table beside him, bear the number G193
    The name of the photographer is given as W. Wright, 83 Bishopsgate Street Without.
    The reason I am keen to trace more details of this officer is that on the back of the photograph is written "Gibbons London Police went after Jack the Ripper."

Does any one know a source where I can trace the name of this officer from his collar number?
    Many thanks

Hi Chris

Well, these people might be able to help.

If they insist on a surname in addition to the collar number, you could always try "Gibbons". There does seem to have been a William Gibbons lodging in Finsbury (G division) in 1881.

Comment

Hi Robert
      Many thanks for that information - I had not seen that site before
      I'll let you any know any result
      Regards
      Chris

Comment

Chris,

Is the helmet cockspur or rose?

City police did have divisions at a later date.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Chris and Monty

The London Gazette has a bankruptcy court reference to an Alfred James Lewis, trading as W Wright, photographer, of 83 Bishopsgate Street. The date of that is 1909!

Comment

Hi Monty

Not being familiar with the terminology(!) I am attaching an image of the helmet from the pic and the collar number

Robert
            Thanks for the added info
            Attached Files

Comment

Try the National Archives for surviving records.. Here is a link to the records they hold for the Metropolitan Police.

Hope this helps too.

Comment

Chris,

Yep, thats a Met helmet alright, it has the rose on the crown.

City has the Cockspur, see the photo below. Met on the left, City on the right. City Helmets 'rise up' at the crown....cue childish Finbarisms

I note the 'on duty' armband also, which would have been blue and white in this photo because this guy is a Met PC. If he were city it would have red and white stripes.

Nope, this man is certainly a Metropolitan Police Officer and could have been one of those drafted in.

Monty
                Attached Files
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

There are also references to a couple of Metropolitan police officers named Gibbons in the Police Index:

Comment

Off topic, but welcome back Chris Scott. Nice to see you and you've been missed.

All the best,

JM

Comment

Hi Jonathan
                      many thanks for your good wishes which are much appreciated
                      Regards
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                        Off topic, but welcome back Chris Scott. Nice to see you and you've been missed.
                        Seconded, Jon - on all counts. Wotcher, Chris!
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

There will definitely be a record book detailing his collar number somewhere with his name and length of service at the time the book was created. The Book I found was tiny 10cm x 15 cm yet yeilded a wealth of information.

I have managed to trace quite a few officers in Yorkshire by their collar number this way.

Comment

Message for Chris Scott:

Yesterday I tried to send you some info I received from Keith Skinner related to this thread, but your private message inbox was full, so I sent it via your casebook email facility instead. If you didn't receive it, let me know and I'm sure nobody will mind if I post Keith's message in full here.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                            X