Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name of Public House ? 58 High St

Hello

Does anyone know the name of the Public House at 58 High St, St Mary`s. Whitechapel.

In 1891 it was run by William Humberstone

Thanks in advance

Hi Jon,

It was 'The Horse and leaping bar'

Rob

Comment

Cheers Rob

Comment

Jon,

Rob is correct about the name, but William Humberstone wasn’t the Publican of the Horse & Leaping Bar in 1891. A man named George Nap Marsh was the Publican at the time.

Here's the info. on the Horse & Leaping Bar:

William Edward Humberstone would have been 38 in 1891. He was the Publican at the Duke of York, 24 Wenlock St. Shorditch in the early 1880s.

Here's the info. on the Duke of York:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bulldog

Comment

Hi Bulldog

I have just checked the 1891 Census, and William E. Humberstone (55 yrs married to Elizabeth) is showing as 58 High St. Have a look and see if it`s me!! and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the interesting links, I can see George Nap Marsh.

Comment

Hi Jon,

I agree, I'd go with the census information. It look like whoever maintains the "deadpubs" site doesn't have this one quite right. Apparently they took their 1891 information from an outdated post office directory.

Despite the error, the deadpubs site has a lot of good information, and a lot of valuable links on the left side of their home page. I especially like the "maps of London" link.

Regards,

Bulldog
            Last edited by Bulldog; 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM. Reason: Added more

Comment

Working...
            X