Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Tumblety make a clean sweep with a Kirby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Tumblety make a clean sweep with a Kirby?

I found this strange little report in 'The Daily Inter Ocean' of Jan 18th 1889 concerning the activities of 'Kirby the Spy', supposedly a Scotland Yard detective in the employ of the Pinkertons in America, and it would appear to indicate that Tumblety and Kirby were the one and same man.
    Unfortunately the file is too large for me to upload, so I hope someone else can manage it, for it is a good read.

Joseph T. Kerby was a Canadian adventurer, some time detective and businessman from a prominent Niagara, Ontario, family.
    When the American Civil War broke out he began working for Lafayette Baker’s spy network, which was attached to the War Department, against the Confederacy. During the war he was actually arrested by the Pinkertons, who were running their own spy network attached to McClelland’s Army, and thrown into the Old Capitol Prison (where Tumblety was later imprisoned) because he was posing as a rebel sympathiser. He was eventually released but his cover was blown and he was forced to leave Baker’s service (ironically, it is believed that he possibly did have Confederate sympathies; which makes some sense since he was Canadian).
    In the late 1870’s he, and a group of other businessmen, were awarded the right to incorporate the “Niagara and St.Catharines Railroad and Steamboat Company.”
    By the 1880’s he was a businessman living in Montréal but by 1888 he was hired by the Times as a detective to work against Parnell and the Irish cause.
    He was not a Pinkerton’s agent, as far as I know, was not a Scotland Yard detective and was certainly not Dr. Francis Tumblety.

Wolf.

Comment

Thanks Wolfette
      Simon told me all that about two weeks ago.
      Can I go back to sleep now?

Comment

Thanks Wolfette
        Simon told me all that about two weeks ago.
        Can I go back to sleep now?
        Ah, but who gave Simon that information?

Wolf.

Comment

Little Red Riding Hood?

Comment

Working...
          X