Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Goodman's collection

Hi all,

Looks as though the late Jonathan Goodman's true crime collection, including a scrapbook of Walter Dew's, has found a home in the same place as the Borowitz collection: Kent State University.

JM

To Stewart,

I read your comment on the KSU story's link above. Thank you for that little tribute.

Do you know anything about the scrapbook belonging to Dew? Or anything else you viewed or photographed from his collection that my be of interest? Since the collection has yet to be itemized, I'm curious if you would be able to enlighten us on what these "25 large boxes" might contain, if only in part. Give us a sense of what kind of collector Goodman was.

Thank you,

JM

Comment

I loved JGs books - his notes on stuff he could not publish on the Wallace and Foster cases would be well worth a look...

Comment

Gee, I wish I had seen this post earlier. Jon had a really stunning of books and criminal paraphanalia. I saw it in his flat in Ealing years ago. I have that bad habit of buying books and never reading them, and my closets are full of unread material. But they are in the closets (except in my bedroom). Jon, whose flat was smaler than my apartment, had wall to wall bookshelves and material loaded in the hallway and the living room/den. And he lived in that apartment with his series of dogs. I was amazed he could do it. He and Albert Borowitz were close friends, and I am sure that Jon wanted to preserve his collection as well as possible - hence giving it to Kent State, who published some of Mr. Borowitz's books, and some of the last of Jon's. I am so happy those volumes found a good home. I hope Kent State treats that collection well.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, I find it difficult to imagine you owning books and not reading them.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Jeff, I find it difficult to imagine you owning books and not reading them.
            Hi Robert,

Right now I am reading a book about the failed attempts in the period of Reconstruction (1865-1877) by the Radical Republicans to build up a Republican Party in the South. I bought this book in lower Manhattan about 1995. 'Nuf' sed!

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, once you have read a book, do you find that after, say, six months, a lot of the info has stuck? I tend to find that I forget a lot of it, though the info is still somehow there at the back of the brain. I tend to read five or six books on one subject, and then pass on to another subject. That has the effect of solidifying some of the info via repetition and association.

However, when it comes to novels, I find I can read the book and a year later I have only the haziest idea of what it was about or what happened to the characters - assuming that I can remember them.

Comment

Working...
              X