HO144/1639/A50678D/99 Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HO144/1639/A50678D/99 Question?

I was recently scouting a bargain bookstore when I found a 2007 paper back edition of Jack the Ripper The Final Chapter by Paul Feldman. I already had the 1998 edition, but it was getting a little dog eared, so I thought I would invest the £1.99 for this version.

One thing that struck me, and I am not sure if anyone has brought this up, was the discussion in the book on the Home Office File HO144/1639/A50678D/99, which Feldman uses to show that James Maybrick was away over the festive period of 1888. The file contains a letter sent from Baroness Von Roques to Henry Matthews, the Home Office Secretary.
    The letter in the file reads,

August 4th 1892
    …. The December of 1888 was the first time during her married life she had been able to dance or had been put in society; and her health was then stronger. She was unattended by her husband….

Now, if this was the first time that Florence Maybrick was able to dance, as she was unattended by her husband, James, wouldn’t that mean, that during the Autumn of 1888, James was home with Florence?
    Regards Mike

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post

Now, if this was the first time that Florence Maybrick was able to dance, as she was unattended by her husband, James, wouldn’t that mean, that during the Autumn of 1888, James was home with Florence?
    Mike,

Good point. Adds to the debate. I like it.

Comment

Thanks for responding Soothsayer.
      Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
      X