The Ten Bells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Bells

I was in there a couple of weeks back. They've taken out all the Ripper memorabilia and turned it back into a regular, non-pretentious pub. I liked it! It had a real feel of what it could have been like during the autumn of 1888.

Have they gotten around to repainting the exterior yet? That poor old pub has needed a bit of a spruce up for yonks.

Comment

I think Ive been there about 5 times so far - no, the exterior is still in dire need of a lick or two of paint.....nice pints of Leffe in there though whilst I reminisce of times past

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
        I think Ive been there about 5 times so far - no, the exterior is still in dire need of a lick or two of paint...
        ... it would be something if they just sanded down the flaking paintwork - it looks more and more like "Rachel Whiteread meets the Singing Detective" every time I see it.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
          I was in there a couple of weeks back. They've taken out all the Ripper memorabilia and turned it back into a regular, non-pretentious pub. I liked it! It had a real feel of what it could have been like during the autumn of 1888.
          IMHO, The Ten Bells certainly needs sorting out externally and internally. Shoddy furniture, torn seats, graffiti covered walls, bio-hazard loos, extortionate beer prices, wall-to-wall pretentious w**kers spilling out onto the street...otherwise it's OK.

I liked it when it had a carpet

Comment

^ Agreed. It's a s***hole.

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

No, when I was there--Sunday lunchtime a couple of weeks ago--the pub was pretty empty. It's not a particularly attractive place. But it was probably just as unattractive when Kelly etc patronized it. Which is what I liked about it. Yes, it's a shithole. But then that's what it always was! I don't think I'd eat anything that was sold there...

Why did they change it back to The Ten Bells from the Jack The Ripper? They'd get more punters as the JTR.

Comment

Rather harsh, Philip. You might have missed John's "...otherwise it's OK". I tend to agree that, despite its shortcomings, having a pint in The Bells is as close as we'll get to sharing an experience with MJK and, surely, one or two of the other victims. (But, John, if it once had a carpet, I didn't notice it.)

Chava: When I first went there it was called the JtR. They changed the name because, apparently, public opinion decreed that you shouldn't name a pub after a murderer.

Comment

Does anyone have any recent photos of inside the pub or are the staff really short with people doing this now ?

Comment

Halomanuk,

Try this link and scroll through:

Pictures obviously taken by tourists etc, though it's interesting to note that there aren't many interior shots. The staff have been known to be a bit 'anti' photography, but I think it depends who's behind the bar at the time.

Here's a vintage one from 1987. This is about as busy as it used to get (as far as I remember), but look -they've got a carpet! They couldn't have one now, it would be threadbare within months. That said, they'd probably like it that way.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack the Ripper Interior 1987.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	656841

Comment

That's great John,just what i was looking for.
                      Many thanks as always,
                      Barry

Comment

I put a picture on the East End Pictures and drawings thread of the inside last time I went. It was quite atmospheric. The people behind the bar were happy for me to take the piccie.
                        In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                          IMHO, The Ten Bells certainly needs sorting out externally and internally. Shoddy furniture, torn seats, graffiti covered walls, bio-hazard loos, extortionate beer prices, wall-to-wall pretentious w**kers spilling out onto the street...otherwise it's OK.

I liked it when it had a carpet
                          I agree John, who are those pretentious w**kers spilling out onto the street after work?! Liked it better when all youd bump into would be a few market folk, a cockney wench behind the bar, and the odd ripperologist. Must be fairly profitable and historically significant, yet they cant even give it a coat o crown!

Comment

They're a bit inconsistent at the Ten Bells, aren't they?

I recently came into possession of a French documentary ('Babylone' - thanks Phil) about JTR which featured the likes of Phil, Lindsay Siviter and Don Rumbelow. It was in 2007 and even had a WS1888 meeting in it (including me having a fag). Another tour guide, Jenny Phillips, is filmed in the Ten Bells talking about the victims.

Well, a few weeks ago, I took a German documentary film crew around the East End. They wanted to film inside the Ten Bells, but when they sought permission a few weeks earlier they were given the cold shoulder - apparently it would have been OK if it the film was a 'big budget fashion shoot'. Tut.

I have to confess, my comments on the pub are never very complimentary. If somebody at the pub is reading these posts, no wonder they don't want Ripperologists sometimes!

Comment

Just went in there today for a pint of Leffe, when I ordered the guy sort of smiled and said they are £5.30 now! Wow, so its my favourite drink in there for whatever reason so I say "Ok" and he starts pouring it and another barman comes over giggling and says "Wow who is getting a pint of Leffe?" - as in presumably who is so stupid to pay £5.30 for a pint and the guy looks at me - bastards, oh well, I still like the place, I just sat there on my own with my back to the back wall (tiled painting section) and observed the life and thought about Jack..........

Comment

Working...
                              X