Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What methods were used to hunt down Jack the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What methods were used to hunt down Jack the Ripper?

In history we're studying Jack the Ripper and got asked what methods were used to hunt down the Ripper.

I wondered if anyone could give me any information.
    (Lot's of details needed)

thank you.

Hi Sally

The police were limited by the tools available at the time - basically restricting them to having to catch the killer in the act, or rely on witnesses / public information to point them toward a suspect

They used house-to-house searches and enquiries, they compared handwriting to some of the Ripper letters, they disguised themselves as men or women, they saturated the areas with beat policemen

Dr Bond attempted an early form of "profiling". The knife and wounds pointed them in certain directions of investigation such as checking all butchers etc They also followed up on theories such as him being a lunatic, cattle-boat man etc

They also watched suspects for extended periods of time and they also used women as bait

They considered using bloodhounds but did not utilise them

Comment

thank you nemo, great help with my coursework!
      Last edited by SallyNutter; 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

No problem Sally

Hope you do well

I would have thought somone else would have some ideas

They printed posters of the letters asking for similar handwriting

You should probably mention the reward issue - private rewards were offered but none from the police/Home Office

...and there was also the offer of the pardon for any Ripper accomplice after the Kelly case

Regards

Nemo

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
          ...and there was also the offer of the pardon for any Ripper accomplice after the Kelly case
          Do you think the police would have honoured this or do you reckon it was just a police bait thing?
          Mostfoul

Comment

I think they would have honoured it as it was an accomplice who had not participated with the Ripper who would be pardoned,which makes him an accessory only.

Compare that with finally getting the Whitechapel Murderer and without paying any reward out or losing too much face and it would have been a bargain if it had worked - which it didn't.

Comment

Yes, I think they would have honoured it if the accomplice was at home for example, covering up the fact that the Ripper returned bloodstained or something similar

If the so called accomplice was a lookout, or anywhere near an active participant then he would still be looking at a long drop from a short rope I would think

Comment

...I forgot about the photographing of the eyes of the victim

It was believed at the time that the last image the person saw was retained on the retina at the point of death...

Comment

After pulling the eyeballs out a little and photographing different areas around the eyeball with electric shocks .

Comment

Hi Sally,

The LVP police worked on the scientifically proven principle that if they arrested enough people one of them would have to be Jack the Ripper.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Magnifique et imparable, mon cher Simon.

Melkam lelit,
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Hi Sally,

The LVP police worked on the scientifically proven principle that if they arrested enough people one of them would have to be Jack the Ripper.

Regards,

Simon
                        I liked that one Simon.

For my two cents Sally they tried analyzing the wounds, piecing together the available witness stories, they examined crime scenes for clues...even sketching at least one, they were going to try bloodhounds, they had patrols and posts set up and lots and lots of men assigned to the cases, they used disguises, they knocked door to door.. entering houses, they printed a copy of two Ripper letters, Dear Boss and Saucy Jack for help with the handwriting, they interviewed lots of nuts who claimed to be the Ripper, or were thought to be by someone else, ..they sifted through hundreds of Ripper letters, ..they photographed one crime scene, ..some patrol cops attached rubber to the soles of their boots for stealth,...they took handwriting samples,.......in short it would seem they did everything that they could do with the means available to them and the leadership that they had.

In comic books, this criminal would be a super Criminal, with the ability to become invisible.

Hope that helps with some ideas, best of luck with your studies.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                          Hi Sally,

They probably got him then, but didn't know it.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                            They probably got him then, but didn't know it...
                            ...except Anderson.

Amitiés,
                            David

Comment

Let's not understate the importance of the bloodhounds! Clearly the reason he stopped. Cheers, Burgho!

Comment

Working...
                              X