Murder locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder locations

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help. I'm trying to find out what now stands on each of the Ripper murder locations. If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks my dears!

Ok, here goes:

George Yard Buildings - residential flats called Sunley House.

Buck's Row - body found on the pavement, so no change.

29 Hanbury Street - Backyard site now covered by a carpark/sunday market (former Truman Brewery).

Dutfield's Yard, Berner Street - School playground.

Mitre Square - pavement again.

Miller's Court, Dorset Street - Spitalfields Market Fruit Exchange.

Comment

Cheers John. You're a star!

Comment

To get a little more pedantic than John (sorry, matey...)

George Yard Buildings : Mostly open ground in front of Sunley House behind low barriers. The murder spot is still unknown but is likely to be right on the edge of the outer wall of the building.

Buck's Row : At the end of the original wall above the tube line is a concrete pillar from the 1960s garage that stood on the site. The murder spot is a tiny couple of feet of waste ground between this and some car parking spaces.

29 Hanbury Street : The murder spot is accessible if you walk into the car park when it's open, but you have to know where it is!

Dutfield's Yard : The school is called the Harry Gosling Primary School.

Mitre Square : Just in front of the flower bed, in the gap between it and the Sir John Cass Foundation School playground.

Miller's Court : Although the Court itself is under the 1929 London Fruit Exchange, the murder spot is on the edge of the building just outside it by inches, extending eastwards from a white pillar along a broken kerbstone.

Ultimately, this means that all the canonical murder spots can be stood on with the exception of Liz Stride's death, unless you get access to the school playground.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Pedant.

Comment

Haha! George, thank you!

Comment

I walked round the murder sites at the weekend. Interestingly of the 5 canonical victims, only Mary Kelly does not have a plaque sprayed onto the wall near the site. All the others have (Mary Ann Nichols Row, Annie Chapman Street, Elisabeth Stride Street and Catharine Eddowes Square). The site of Kelly's murder is now covered by the market, with a small private road and a car park on the opposite side of it. Maybe this is why.

It was quite eerie to walk around this area of London knowing what had gone on here years before, and I have to say that even with all the gentrification of the Spitalfields area, Whitechapel is still a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Darrell View Post
                ... Whitechapel is still a dump.
                Some of us live here - and like it - you know.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
                  Some of us live here - and like it - you know.

Regards,

Mark

Haha. Apologies. I will concede that it does have lots of character

Comment

One of the things I look forward to is taking Philips tour someday soon to walk them all myself.

Im sure that Whitechapel is still reminiscent of the period in certain places and Im also sure its vastly improved to what Ive read about.

Your lucky to live in such a great city...I hope you enjoy it fully. Past, present, and future.

Best regards all.

Comment

Given that the majority of the crime scenes are different from what they would have looked like in 1888, I'm interested if people familar with the case but who had never been to Whitechapel would benefit from a quality Ripper tour. Those of you who have had one, did you get a better sense of the general area, street layouts, etc.? Would you recommend it? Is a murder scene still creepy if it is now a parking garage, etc?

Comment

I just realized that there is a podcast on this subject. It probably will answer my questions, so I'm off to listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Darrell View Post
                          I walked round the murder sites at the weekend. Interestingly of the 5 canonical victims, only Mary Kelly does not have a plaque sprayed onto the wall near the site.
                          It certainly used to, though I think it has since been removed....
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 MaryKellysCourt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	656788

Comment

I couldn't see it. I looked round where I thought it should be, but to no avail. I shall go again soon.

Comment

I've never seen the Dorset Street one either, and I spent a while looking for it. Same with the Hanbury Street one, couldn't see it anywhere.

Fortunately, the other three are easy enough to spot!

All the best

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X