When were the photos taken??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When were the photos taken??

I recently read in a Ripper book, Rumbelows I think...that they took the photos through the broken window then broke the door down later...

Is this correct does anyone know???

Unless they have since been lost and the only ones we have are taken inside after the door was broken down...

Thanks

It's still a matter of great debate, Sarah. Obviously MJK3 was taken in the room but the famous MJK1/2 was probably taken through the window - either a broken pane or if the window was removed (it all gets very odd); it is unlikely in a room 10' x 12' you would be able to get a full-length shot like that without a distorting lens. Especially so when you consider Joseph Martin being behind a tripod and the bed projecting about three feet into the room, leaving only a few feet from the camera to the edge of the bed.

Do bear in mind that although Don is still a Ripperological God, his original book is 34 years old and things have moved on a great deal in knowledge. However, at present my subjective view agrees with what he wrote there (though 'breaking down the door' is a little OTT).

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Comment

The exterior photo of 13 Millers Court

Hi Sarah

The photographer definately set up his equipment in the courtyard to take at least one picture, the only exterior photo of 13 Millers Court. However, there is a contemprary sketch showing the photographer in the room.

Probably taken between 2.00 pm (the door was not forced open until 1.30) and 4.30 pm (when it would have been turning dark).

The police must have had entered the room when the photo was taken as the "curtain" in the larger window can be seen to be open.

The exterior photo was used by Dr Phillips to show the windows he mentions at the inquest.

Comment

Working...
        X