Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Model Dwellings off Goulston

Hello all,

This is an appeal to anyone who might be willing to share information regarding the tenants in the Model Dwellings.

Its been my understanding that the population within those buildings was predominantly Jewish, some have suggested perhaps as high as 75 % or more being of that ethnicity.

What I wondering is if anyone has been able to access a tenants list for the period in question. I know many of you search census data for a variety of issues like this, I was hoping someone already had and wouldnt mind sharing some of the findings.

I feel fairly confident that a connection with The International Working Mens Club on Berner might be in a surname there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards all.

I don't think the 1891 census data are available on Ancestry.com - there's a gap in the enumeration districts, and as Sod's Law would have it, the missing bit would appear to include the Eastern side of Goulston Street. The Western side is indexed - but that comprises Brunswick Buildings, which were on the wrong side of the road.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      I don't think the 1891 census data are available on Ancestry.com - there's a gap in the enumeration districts, and as Sod's Law would have it, the missing bit would appear to include the Eastern side of Goulston Street. The Western side is indexed - but that comprises Brunswick Buildings, which were on the wrong side of the road.
      Thanks for the info Sam,... although thats discouraging. I wonder since these were Housing Projects with government subsidies, if other branches of government like Urban Development or even the Treasury would have had records of the tenants in government sponsored Housing initiatives.

They must have kept operational costs data somewhere, might that be crossed referenced with an occupants list?

Just reaching.

Thanks Sam

Comment

Working...
      X