Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Streetmaps

Guys,

Has anyone checked this feature out yet?

This could put Philip out of business !

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Yes, I have been playing with it all night. LOL they even have pictures and links for the spots where Polly and Catherine where found. also the Tenbells is linked. try typing Ripper Spots into the search and see what you get
    'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Not only have I had a play, I drove around Whitechapel and looked at some of the sites!! It's fantastic!

I was actually filmed by the Google camera car when they did Hull, but Hull has not appeared on the system yet, so I will have to wait to see me...
      Last edited by Mike Covell; 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM.
      Regards Mike

Comment

yes, its a simple yet very effective idea - have been down memory lane this morning visiting my old house, my primary school, old girlfriends houses, and the Ten Bells

Comment

Excellent isn't it! have spent the last few hours prowling the streets of Spitalfields, childhood houses etc at work here too!!.. Although- just been listening to a heated debate on the radio re: 'invasion of privacy', a gift for burglars, paedophiles etc etc - quite, quite unbelievable!!

Suzi
          Last edited by Suzi; 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM.
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Robert D'Onston Stephenson's older brother lived in Gibson Square in Islington, it's a lovely place, but a place I have yet to visit, so imagine my suprise when it shows up on street view (SV). I had a virtual drive around and looked at the magnificent upper class dwellings, and it was amazing.

The technology employed wipes out people's faces, so I cannot see how this is going to help peodo's!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Yes, quite the controversy, already hearing talk about how thieves can use it to case neighborhoods or map out a get away route. Wouldn't our Jack have found that a usefull tool.
              'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

I confess that when I first started using Street View, I was concerned about stalkers and burglars, etc. Yet it's a great tool for when you need to visit a new location. You can use it to look for landmarks along the way and you can visit places you've never been. I used it to visit famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, the Pyramids, and Stonehenge, so it can be fun. I'm sure there is a risk, but, as yet, I've not heard anything about it's being much of a factor in crime. It does take away a little of the anonymity, but I'm careful who I give my address out to, anyway, as I'm sure most of us are.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Mike-
                  I must admit I was a tad confused by the paedophile connection- apparently children's bikes,toys left outside the house and kiddie stickers on windows are what this telephone caller was worried about- allegedly these are a signal to the would-be paedophile that there is a child in the house!
                  Suzi

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                    The technology employed wipes out people's faces, so I cannot see how this is going to help peodo's!
                    Oh ho!

Have a look at the spot by Aldgate Pump and see the two coppers taking details from a motorcyclist... whose face is in FULL VIEW!

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

That'll teach him!!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

Amazing, this. You can get an excellent view of the spot where Mary Ann Nichols' body was found. Too bad someone didn't clean up the rubbish lying near it.

Comment

Google Street View has been operational in the US for a year or so, and there are already a lot of "funny street view" sites on the web.

Here's one to take a look at: http://mashable.com/2007/05/31/top-1...iew-sightings/

A sample from that website (Crime in Progress):
                          Last edited by Admin; 03-21-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

He he saw that Phillip!........... Want to see the guy coming out of the sex shop in Soho!!!.......... Bloody thing keeps crashing though- reckon it's because everyones trying to do a 'find me'............ shame we didn't know they were there a year ago- the cat could have been there with his face (!) blanked out! or wearing a hoodie with house breaking kit dangling out of his waistcoat ...or God forbid coming out of a ***** store!.... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Suz xxxx

Shame there's no JPde L pointing at the stick man- I did look! x
                            Last edited by Suzi; 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM.

Comment

It's nice to see that Chamber Street is covered, along with Swallow Gardens. I seem to remember comments on the boards previously, that a lot of people had problems in visualising how this area is laid out. I know I did before I actually got round to visiting it. With the Streetview feature all becomes clear.

Gives a good impression of just how dark it is to the west of the Swallow Gardens archway

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X