Census Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Archives

As part of my JTR case study I've been trying to access census records online where I can look at Whitechapel or - if need be - London in general in 1888 and years before but I can't find anywhere that will let me search it. Can anyone help me?
    For every man who says "It was him!" there will always be a man who says "You're wrong."

You could do worse than checking out the (free) extracts from the London 1891 Census here:

That's the closest census to the Whitechapel murders.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I know this was a long time ago and I'd actually forgotten about this thread, but that link /did/ help me, and I never thanked you cause I'm so rude. So ta!
      For every man who says "It was him!" there will always be a man who says "You're wrong."

Comment

Aside from the 1891 census, there should also be census records for the decades around that too - the 1911 census records got put up not all that long ago as well and I've browsed around that site a bit. Unfortunately you have to be a paying member to access the full records for each person, but it's a good start if you're interested in trying to find some of the people involved in the JTR case.

Just try and search for some of the less common names first though....I tried searching for John Richardson and Elizabeth Long in the 1911 census. Big mistake. Did find what seemed like a likely reference to Israel Schwartz, though!

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

That's great, thanks.
          That was one of the big problems I found. With anything that looked even vaguely promising you had to be a member and be paying so much per month, /or/ you had to pay a price upfront to even think about accessing anything of vague importance. I do understand though, census records and archives aren't exactly handed out to the public. Thankyou for the link though Adam, I'll check it out.

Comment

No problems! It would of course be much easier to do the searching if we knew dates of birth and names of parents and so on, but if you're just doing a general search for a name, there will often be a mountain of results that are very difficult to sort out. Which is why it's better to search for less common names.

Here are the results in the 1911 census for Israel Schwartz.....i'm thinking the third one from the top is quite a likely candidate:

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Wow, thanks a bunch. I can use that to check out a few of the names I can't find anywhere else either. I can't believe I missed a site like that when I spent so long searching, lol. That is so easy, and so simple.
              Third from the top... Well it's certainly not the fourteen year old. And I'd tend to swing more towards the older, the thirty seven, rather than the twenty four. That's odd though, why does it always seem more likely that it's the older one?

Comment

Working...
              X