If you could go back in time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could go back in time

to stop one of the victims from being killed and to catch jack the ripper, which victim would you choose and why?

oh yeah I forgot to mention I would choose Martha Tabram because I believe her to be the rippers first victim.

Comment

She's not Jack's 1st victim.

Cathy Eddowes in Mitre Square. They all didn't deserve to die but Cathy, in there, leading him in, not knowing what he'd do to her. Me, 130 years later, walking around, taking photos on the night of the double murder.

If I could save her, I would.
      http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

I would travel back to June/July time, find a nice bolthole on Leman Street, and wait until Boxing day before travelling back!
        Regards Mike

Comment

There's a theory here! Hope your family is OK.

So, why Leman St and Boxing Day? Have to ask.

Comment

I would visit early so I could see an East End Summer, perhaps paddle in the Thames!

It is alleged that Robert D'Onston Stephenson had a bolthole on Leman Street, even though he was in hospital, so we could be roommates, or I could watch him.

I would leave after or on Boxing Day, as we know Stephenson went to visit Inspector Roots on Christmas Eve.

By visiting the east end between these two dates, I get to see Tabram and the C5, the investigation, mania, and maybe a ripper letter, and get to have a Victorian Christmas!

The family are great thanks, Bradley has gone to school!
            Regards Mike

Comment

You really want it all, don't you! What about Jack? Wouldn't you like to catch him in or about to do the act?

I would. Just to know who the bugger was. I hope Brad is doing OK.

Comment

Bradley is fine thanks.

Of course I would love to see who carried out such crimes, but what then?
                Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  Bradley is fine thanks.

Of course I would love to see who carried out such crimes, but what then?
                  Then we all pack up and go home. Or, we start a web site on what a bunch of losers we are because we didn't get it right. Then we all start fighting again. But Jack being Jack, that will never happen.
                  So, here we are.

Comment

I would save all the victims(Who I think are Martha,Polly,Annie,Catherine and Mary)and give them a great life in the present free from all the poverty and sadness of their life. I am sorry I can not pick one victim to save. Or I could just go back in time and kill Jack - the no one would need saving.
                    Last edited by CLK; 03-09-2009, 06:41 PM.
                    CLK

Comment

Wrong. You would need saving because you just took the law into your own hands.

I have fantasized about this in the past. How would you convince Abberline etal. that you knew who and when the next one would be? First you would be ignored as a nut and then when the next one happened just as you said it would you would be hunted down as an accomplice or even accused of being Jack yourself.

Comment

History should not be changed. It is good to imagine it sometimes but you should not rewrite the rules. I have come to the decision that I would save none of the victims but I would like to know who Jack was. But we do not know who he is and I can not find out because it would change history, whether I told anyone else or not.
                        CLK

Comment

Originally posted by CLK View Post
                          History should not be changed. It is good to imagine it sometimes but you should not rewrite the rules. I have come to the decision that I would save none of the victims but I would like to know who Jack was. But we do not know who he is and I can not find out because it would change history, whether I told anyone else or not.
                          That's pretty much where I am. However, I also agree with Mike's travel itinerary -- a real LVP Christmas would be wonderful!

As hard as it would be to save none of them (and it would be very hard for me), I would instead simply take a camera and a lot of film. I would do what I could to make sure that we had photos of every single one of the ladies in life -- and Inspector Abberline, too. Maybe a few other people. And definitely of many, many places -- there are a lot of places in London that I can think of, that I've never seen a Victorian-era photo of, or that the photos we do seem to have are not quite at the angle I wish they were. (Like, a good picture of the Britannia, or of the Ten Bells -- ones specifically of those buildings, rather than ones where they are just in the distance.)

Then I'd see if a nice Victorian horse or two would fit in the time machine to bring home.
                          ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

You know I would bring a camera as well. Pictures of the murder sites, the women, detectives suspects ect. I may pop round to the palace to see Queen Victoria as well.
                            CLK

Comment

Saving any one of the victims might invalidate the reason for travelling back in time in the first place - so you'd never end up going. Just one of those paradoxes time-travellers like me have to deal with on a millennium-by-millennium basis.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X