Whitechapel Society April Meeting -1st Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel Society April Meeting -1st Saturday

A slight hiccup with our website - no-one wants to update it.

But here is the next speaker for April 5th 2008 ShirleyHarrison 'Sylvia Pankhurst - A Maverick Life'

George Bernard Shaw declared, ‘There are only two opinions about her. One was that she was miraculous. The other that she was unbearable’. In this talk, Shirley Harrison looks at the life of Sylvia Pankhurst, a prominent campaigner in the suffragette movement but who continued to make an impact on the world stage long after the crusade for women’s suffrage had been won. Campaigning for women and workers, Sylvia Pankhurst was also an important figure in the communist movement and keen supporter of Haile Selassie, and is the only foreigner to have been given a state funeral by the Emperor of Ethiopia.

Coral

Hi Coral.

1) I'm glad she's not talking about you-know-what...

2) Who is Sylvia? (Only a slight pun there)

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I have Shirley's book on the Pankhurst woman.

Good book

Jenni
      “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi everyone

If any of you have been to the Whitechapel Society website, please note that the wrong date has been advertised for Shirley Harrison's talk.

It is NOT tomorrow - but will be the first Saturday of April.

Coral

Comment

Just as well that Shirley Harrison is not talking about 'you-know-what' but this puts me in a dilemma.

My Dad (a bit of a Maybrick-ist) would like his 'Diary of JTR' book signed. Do you think she'll tell me to P-off if I try?

Comment

John - I shall be bringing mine along. It's not been opened for many years but, shoot, it should have a signature in it just as likely to have been the hand of Jack the Ripper as well as 'Maybrick's, eh?

I'll be bringing along my Camille Wolff just to offset the pain as well.

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Shirley is one lovely person - and I can assure you that she will sign your Diary - she has signed mine.

Coral

Comment

Working...
              X