Letter referring to removal of the heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter referring to removal of the heart

I thought this letter, sent just over a week before the Kelly murder, referring to the removal of the heart, might be of interest
    Chris

Bristol Mercury
    1 November 1888

A letter, purporting to come from the East end assassin, has been received at the Poplar police station, in which the writer said he was going to commit three more murders. The following is said to be the wording:-
    "October 30th 1888.
    Dear Boss,
    I am going to commit three more murders, two women and a child, and I shall take their hearts this time.
    Yours truly,
    (Signed) Jack the Ripper."
    The letter was enclosed in an envelope which, in addition to the Poplar post mark, also bore the Ealing post mark, and was directed to the sergeant. A copy was sent to the Commissioner of Police. The information with instructions were at once telegraphed to the different stations ordering every possible vigilance to be used in case of an attempted repetition of the crime.

Thanks for sharing Chris, great as usual
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Mention of this letter appeared in both the Evening News and the Illustrated Police News and it was discussed by Dan Norder in his article Heartless, The Evidence of a Copycat Killer, in Ripper Notes #28.

Wolf.

Comment

The following should be of interest for those keeping track of such things -

From The Echo of Oct. 29th, 1888:

It is stated that the words, "I shall do another murder, and will receive her heart," have been found written in chalk on the on the footway in Camplin-street, Deptford.
        Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
          Mention of this letter appeared in both the Evening News and the Illustrated Police News and it was discussed by Dan Norder in his article Heartless, The Evidence of a Copycat Killer, in Ripper Notes #28.

Wolf.
          Its a good article, Im glad you mentioned it Wolf. I believe its available here as well....in Dissertations perhaps.

For me taking a heart once and taking even partial uteri twice are different acts. And the first comes with much circumstantial evidence that doesnt suggest a stranger.

Cheers Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
            I thought this letter, sent just over a week before the Kelly murder, referring to the removal of the heart, might be of interest
            Chris

Bristol Mercury
            1 November 1888

A letter, purporting to come from the East end assassin, has been received at the Poplar police station, in which the writer said he was going to commit three more murders. The following is said to be the wording:-
            "October 30th 1888.
            Dear Boss,
            I am going to commit three more murders, two women and a child, and I shall take their hearts this time.
            Yours truly,
            (Signed) Jack the Ripper."
            The letter was enclosed in an envelope which, in addition to the Poplar post mark, also bore the Ealing post mark, and was directed to the sergeant. A copy was sent to the Commissioner of Police. The information with instructions were at once telegraphed to the different stations ordering every possible vigilance to be used in case of an attempted repetition of the crime.
            it's a shame we have no copy of this letter.....W5 so it's a fair distance from the East East
            Last edited by Malcolm X; 03-23-2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X