Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely new: can you point me in the right direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely new: can you point me in the right direction?

Hello there.

I'm very new, and would like some advice when it comes to books! The only book I have read so far, is Patricia Cornwell's book, and as much as I like her fictional work, I was very unhappy with her JTR book! I'm after a book to teach me the facts, to get me into the subject without a biased approach. I love facts, images, newpaper articles and all of the good stuff etc...and need to find a great book to ease me into all of this

Thank you for the help in advance, and hopefully I can blend in a little after some more reading!

Jenn

Originally posted by NextJenn View Post
    Hello there.

I'm very new, and would like some advice when it comes to books! The only book I have read so far, is Patricia Cornwell's book, and as much as I like her fictional work, I was very unhappy with her JTR book! I'm after a book to teach me the facts, to get me into the subject without a biased approach. I love facts, images, newpaper articles and all of the good stuff etc...and need to find a great book to ease me into all of this

Thank you for the help in advance, and hopefully I can blend in a little after some more reading!

Jenn
    authors last name Sugden good read, and fairly well respected book. Nice whole picture in terms of events. Relativrly recent, and therefore cheap. Live Strong Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

I have one word for you, Jenn: Sugden.

Comment

I'm looking in the right direction then! I have on my shopping list:

The complete history of JTR by Sugden,
        JTR: The facts and JTR: Definative History by Begg,
        JTR Source Book and JTR: letters for hell by Evans and Skinner

What do you think? Thank you for your responses, very quick

Comment

That's a good-looking shopping list, Jenn, although I'd suggest you just get Begg's The Facts for now - it's the more recent of his books, and covers a lot more ground. You can always get the Definitive History later, if (when!) you get bitten by the "completist" bug
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thank you I will be off to the second hand store I shop at first thing in the morning!..if not, I shall be placing my order online tonight. I am a little worried, I have far too many bookcases in my tiny student house...I collect everything, but this is a subject that has fascinated me for so long, I'm taking the plunge!

Comment

There are also a couple (at least) of books that you can look at without worrying about taking up shelf space:

The very rare Jack the Myth by A.P. Wolf can be found on the Casebook at:

and another odd contribution to the world of Ripper media:

Comment

I'd highly recomend Jack the Ripper, The Casebook to go along with either Begg or Sudgen. It's a tad short on words, but has amazing facsimile's of police reports, Ripper letters etc. as well as some decent high-res photos. Not so great on it's own as it's not very long, but worth having alongside any fact-only JTR book even if only for the coolness factor

Comment

The books others have already suggested, plus Neal Shelden's The Victims of Jack the Ripper (I think that's the proper title; my copy is downstairs in my purse) -- Neal's book is a must-have, I believe, just as much as Sugden. And also I would suggest Donald Rumbelow's Jack The Ripper: The Complete Casebook -- I think the updated version is The Complete Jack the Ripper, but I don't have that one yet, so I wouldn't want to swear to it. (It's partially a sentimental choice -- Rumbelow's Complete Casebook was my first Ripper book. Also, my original copy travelled very well.)

Also Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates by Stewart P. Evans and Donald Rumbelow.
                  ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Just ordered Fido's book for only $6 plus freight.

Tom Cullen was only $2. He had an entertaining style.

Paid $30 for the Evans & Rumbelow but it's worth it. Same for the Clack & Hutchinson.

Roy
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Tom Cullen is, in my opinion, highly under-rated. 'Autumn of Terror' is very well worth a read.

As is Dan Farson's book, Jack The Ripper if you can still find a copy. To me, he is the 'forgotten' JtR authority.

Cheers,

Graham
                      Last edited by Graham; 04-19-2009, 11:47 PM.
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

It has to be Sugden's book..brilliantly written,unbiased and covers all the details needed to bring you into the history of Victorian London 1888...

Comment

Evans and Rumbelow "JtR. Scotland Yard investigates" is a must.
                          And it's wonderfully illustrated.

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by halomanuk View Post
                            It has to be Sugden's book..brilliantly written,unbiased and covers all the details needed to bring you into the history of Victorian London 1888...
                            Yes Halomanuk,
                            but once you've read Sugden, you must read Begg.
                            It's amusing to see how they differ in some respects.
                            Sugden votes Chapman, Begg Kosminski.
                            Sugden tends to dismiss Ada Wilson as a possible early victim, Begg tends to include her.
                            Sugden makes Lawende the seaside witness; for Begg, it's Schwartz.
                            Sugden goes with the Met's wording for the GSG, Begg goes with the City Police...

Amitiés,
                            David

Comment

Working...
                            X