Was Hanratty Guilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Hanratty Guilty?

I thought I'd give this Poll thing a go just to see how it works.

KR,
    Vic.
    Yes - always has been
    20.51%
    Yes - DNA proved it
    25.64%
    Probably
    5.13%
    Possibly
    20.51%
    No - someone else was
    15.38%
    No - Alphon did it
    12.82%
    Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
    Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Hi Vic,

Nice one.

Love,

Caz
    XX
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Caz,

I wondered why no-one has done this sort of Poll before. Woffinden and Foot both have lots to say about "Public Opinion" without solid evidence, so this may give us an idea.

I suspect the results will be skewed because more of the "He did it" people will have lost interest in the case, whereas the "He's innocent" people are more likely to maintain their passion and post their feelings, but we'll see. The statistical relevance of a sample size of 2 is negligible.

KR,
      Vic.
      Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.

Comment

Hi Vic,

7 voters so far and nobody is yet willing to accuse Alphon.

Perhaps there are some principled people on the case after all, who believe that if 'reasonable doubt' applies in Hanratty's case, it must automatically apply to anyone not even tried.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Good idea Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
            I thought I'd give this Poll thing a go just to see how it works.

KR,
            Vic.
            No you didn't.

Comment

Hi,

I couldn't help but notice that 57% of the people who voted Hanratty guilty have never submitted any posts on the main thread, which I find strange. Perhaps they are friends of Victor's and he's asked them to vote guilty.

regards,
              James

Comment

Originally posted by jimarilyn View Post
                I couldn't help but notice that 57% of the people who voted Hanratty guilty have never submitted any posts on the main thread, which I find strange. Perhaps they are friends of Victor's and he's asked them to vote guilty.
                Hi James,

Wot more conspiracy theories?

Surely it's obvious why. See post #3 for my initial reaction.
                I suspect the results will be skewed because more of the "He did it" people will have lost interest in the case, whereas the "He's innocent" people are more likely to maintain their passion and post their feelings, but we'll see.
                It the same reasoning as your recent post on the main thread but in reverse, the poor turn out on this vote is direct evidence of how little concern there is over the case anymore, because the case that there was a "miscarriage of justice" has virtually disapated.

KR,
                Vic.

Comment

was hanratty guilty

i wouldent like to say for certian weather hanratty was guilty or not guilty i think the scotish verdict of not proven is called for

Comment

My father in law went to school with him. He told me that he was quite a nice bloke, but a bit backward in the brain department and he never believed that Hanratty was guilty, as he didn't seem like someone who would do that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroft View Post
                      My father in law went to school with him. He told me that he was quite a nice bloke, but a bit backward in the brain department and he never believed that Hanratty was guilty, as he didn't seem like someone who would do that sort of thing.
                      Hi Mycroft,

Fascinating! Was that St James School at Burnt Oak? Both Foot and Woffinden are a bit thin about JH's early life, and this is the only school I can find mentioned by name (in Woffinden). Does your father-in-law have any other memories or anecdotes? How old were JH and your father-in-law when they were at school together?

Am I correct in saying that this is the first poster to this thread who claims some knowledge of JH, even though indirectly?

Ted Bundy never seemed like the kind of guy who would committ serial rape and murder, but he did...

Cheers,

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Hi Mycroft,

Fascinating! Was that St James School at Burnt Oak? Both Foot and Woffinden are a bit thin about JH's early life, and this is the only school I can find mentioned by name (in Woffinden). Does your father-in-law have any other memories or anecdotes? How old were JH and your father-in-law when they were at school together?

Am I correct in saying that this is the first poster to this thread who claims some knowledge of JH, even though indirectly?

Ted Bundy never seemed like the kind of guy who would committ serial rape and murder, but he did...

Cheers,

Graham
                        Hi Graham, to be honest, my father in law isn't the easiest person to talk to, so I haven't pressed him for more info, on the rare times that I see him. I asked the missus about it, as she was there when he talked about it a few years ago, but she couldn't remember too much detail either. As my wife phones her dad every Sunday, I asked her to ask him to tell the tale again and to find out which school it was, but typically , she forgot. I'm going to remind her to do it next Sunday and will get back to this thread, when I have more info. All I do know is that the school was in NW London, as that is where he grew up.
                        Last edited by Mycroft; 04-19-2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Hi all, got some new information. The school was St.James's in Burnt Oak. My father-in-law wasn't in his class, but was a year or two below. Hanratty always had lots of ration books and coupons and always had lots of sweets and was popular with the other children because of this. He was crooked even at school and used to like gambling and selling stuff. One day he literally went home without his shirt, bare chested, after having lost his shirt gambling. My f-i-l almost had a punch up with him one day, but I haven't found out why yet. He was well liked by most people, but it was known that he was into crooked activity. That's all I've got at the moment, but I'm going to get the missus to ask some more questions next Sunday. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask, specifically about Hanratty's time at school, I'll be happy to ask them, but can't guarantee there will be any answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroft View Post
                            Hi all, got some new information. The school was St.James's in Burnt Oak. My father-in-law wasn't in his class, but was a year or two below. Hanratty always had lots of ration books and coupons and always had lots of sweets and was popular with the other children because of this. He was crooked even at school and used to like gambling and selling stuff. One day he literally went home without his shirt, bare chested, after having lost his shirt gambling. My f-i-l almost had a punch up with him one day, but I haven't found out why yet. He was well liked by most people, but it was known that he was into crooked activity. That's all I've got at the moment, but I'm going to get the missus to ask some more questions next Sunday. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask, specifically about Hanratty's time at school, I'll be happy to ask them, but can't guarantee there will be any answers.
                            hi Mycroft

did you get any more info?

all the best

viv

Comment

Working...
                            X