Theoretical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretical question

This has to be a classic question in the world of Jack The Ripper studies, in todays world of confussed political correct thoughts could Druitt still be a suspect in todays world if the murders had happened now?

I'm not sure what impact political correctness would have on this particular case. There's no obvious reason to us why he was a suspect, but there is reason to believe that his family suspected him. If this is the case, then I assume that whatever they saw or heard would also make him a suspect.

Are you possibly confusing Druitt with oneof the Jewish or "foreign" suspects?

Comment

I think Triston's question stems from the assumption on the part of some that Druitt was (or was thought to be) a homosexual and that this was the basis for suspicions against him. In other words, would it be politically correct today to suspect someone on the basis of his being homosexual?

To this I would respond only that there is no evidence that Druitt was a homosexual nor any real evidence that Macnaghten believed him to be. The term "sexually insane," used my Macnaghten in his memorandum to describe Druitt, was not a common euphemism for homosexuality and must be interpreted in light of Macnaghten's later comment in his memoirs that the murderer suffered from "sexual mania." "Sexual mania" was a broad term that referred to the perceived sexual origin of any anti-social behavior.

Therefore, the question remain as to why the unlikely Druitt was indeed a police suspect within a bit over two years following the crimes (early 1891). That's the quest I've been on for three years or more.
      Last edited by aspallek; 02-11-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X