Servant Girl Annihilator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servant Girl Annihilator

Austin, Texas has its own set of unsolved serial murders circa 1885. They apparently did not catch the media attention that the Ripper Murders did, and I haven't found many Austinites that are aware of them. If any of you casebook criminologists have knowledge or even interest in these axe murders I am very open to discussion.

I only stumbled upon the information myself when I was looking for information concerning Austin's historic Moonlight Towers.

Hi,

I'm somewhat interested in the case. If I remember correctly, there was a thread on these murders but perhaps it was lost in the crash.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I looked through all the "other mystery" threads but nothing looked likely. It might possibly exist elsewhere but my guess is that it got lost in the crash.

I find it very intesting that the Austin murders got so little press compared to the Whitechapel murders. Is it because:

1) London was a big city and Austin was pretty much a backwater in comparison,

2) The sensational nature of the mutilations, or that

3) Colored servant girls were less valued than white destitute prostitutes.

I hate to think that race played so big a part, but people didn't seem to care all that much about the Austin murders until two wealthy white women were killed. Go figure.

Comment

Yes, I think these are interesting, too. There were some murders in Atlanta that some thought were connected. I'm not so sure though.

Steven Saylor wrote a novel about the Austin murders. It was pretty fair. He did manage to give a sense of, if not panic, then fear in the city.

Very nice town, Austin, or was the last time I was through there. The hill country is lovely. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Only yall don't have pork bbq.

Best wishes and welcome,

Cel
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

4) The killer didn't have catchy name.

This case wasn't even in the First Edition of Newton's Encyclopedia of Serial Killers. It did make the Second.

One account I read says that an 11-year-ol girl was raped and stabbed in the ear with an iron rod. That sort of reminds me of the Emma Smith case.

Yes Austin - As I understand - All the swimming pools are topless!
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan the thread annihlator
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
            X