Location of the murder site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of the murder site

I have just been reading about the location of the MJK murder site. I always thought that the missing kerbstone was the entrance to Millers Court but it appears that the the entrance was some 26 feet forward of this point.

This makes the murder site around the area of the missing kerbstone and the book states that in 1997 work was undertaken to establish the proximity of the road. It states that the road position is now further North and at a differnt angle.

My question is that I am attempting some mapping of the area and am interested in the 1997 venture. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi PV,

Yes it was mapped. For your convenience I found the thread, called Dorset Street, and posted on it to bring it forward. Under General Discussion.

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Roy

Thanks a lot. Just taken a look. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi, PV.

I think you're probably referring to Rob's & mine's book. Rob drew my attention to an article as coming from (I think) Ripperologist at that time. Further work by the likes of Colin Roberts has confirmed this, with the use of Google Earth and the old OS maps. Prior to Google Earth, you couldn't really get an almost direct overhead view of places unless by chance from ariel shots. Because the shops next to Itchy Park and the Providence Row Convent & Night Shelter (on Commercial Street and Crispin Street respectively) are still in situ from that time, and because the lines of those two streets are the same, it was possible to match things exactly.

There had been a common and lazy supposition that The Spitalfields Fruit Exchange from 1930 directly overlay the building frontages of Duval Street's northern side but this research proved it not to be the case.

Since the late 90s, it was 'known' that the murder spot was where you see the broken kerbstone, but recent research as outlined above has now proven it to be about a metre further to the west.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Incidentally,bought the book today...First JTR one I've bought since the sourcebook...Well worth it!
          Steve

Comment

Thank you, Steve. In the middle of 2010 Rob and I will get about 20p each from that!

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
              Thank you, Steve. In the middle of 2010 Rob and I will get about 20p each from that!

PHILIP
              Should get you a tube of mints to share.........

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                Should get you a tube of mints to share.........
                ...with this recession, Steve, we'll be lucky if the hole in a Polo costs as little as 20p come 2010
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks all.
                  Looks like big bucks then.
                  Got to say I enjoyed the book, part of the fun for me is the hisorical side. I have particular interest in Dorset Street and Mitre Square so before I run away and look at Mitre Square has anything been done on this do you know?
                  I suspect that this location has changed (If you know what I mean) due to the width of Mitre Street.
                  Thanks again, keep writing those books....it all adds up.

Comment

Hi PV

Mitre Square has changed bit by bit since the 1940s. There is nothing left of how it looked at the time today except the majority of the shape of the inside of the Square. Even the setts/cobbles inside it aren't the same. Standing inside Mitre Square you will see nothing at all that anyone from 1888 would recognise, except for a glimpse of the back of St Botolph's Church up the end of Church Passage. I don't think Mitre Street has changed in width.

PHILIP

Comment

Just wondered if anyone has thought of seeing if the TV programme 'Time Team' would be interested in getting involved in locating the true murder site? Might be something out of the ordinary for them so they could be keen. Don't know if it would be easy for them to get permission to excavate there, but it's worth a shot, surely..

Comment

I love Time Team, and it would be great if they'd do it.

Comment

But it wouldn't happen. There's no threat to the area, the location is tiny, there would be no permission granted to do the dig, there's nothing left to find and we know EXACTLY where it was!

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            But it wouldn't happen. There's no threat to the area, the location is tiny, there would be no permission granted to do the dig, there's nothing left to find and we know EXACTLY where it was!

PHILIP
                            The odds of finding a rusty knife, the remains of an iron bedstead or a blood-stained piece of table are nil. I'm more interested in the general detritus of life in Millers Court. However you're right. The chances of getting a permission to dig are remote. And the whole area's been mucked-about with.

Comment

Working...
                            X