Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction (Odell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction (Odell)

Chances are some of you are already aware of this, but according to Amazon, an updated paperback edition (300+pages) of Robin Odell's book is due in December.

It lists plenty of earlier editions for sale which are all £50 plus, whereas this edition is going for £12.99.

JB

Thanks for the heads up JB, I have Odells, "Ripperology" which is an enjoyable read, so I will put this one on the Christmas list!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi all,

In its day Robin Odell's JTR in Fact and Fiction was the best book on the subject. The only one that came close was Tom Cullen's Autumn of Terror. Not only that, but Robin's was the very first book on the Ripper I ever read - back in 1966 - and I was fortunate enough to have it signed by him many, many years later.

Cheers
      Hook
      Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM. Reason: Typos
      Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
      Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

It was the first JtR book I read too, Hook, in about 1965, and I still have a soft spot for it. I only met Robin once and, unfortunately, I didn't have the book with me so he could sign it. Surprisingly, he told me that he himself no longer owns a copy.

Comment

Here's the cover for the new edition. A bit tacky I must say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction 2008 revised editioncb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	655472

I gave the book a quick look over and it's a facsimile of the first edition from 1965. There is a new preface (about 17 pages) and a new select bibliography. The 'Gentleman Jack' chapter from the 1966 revised paperback is included before the main text of the book starts. I'm a bit disappointed the book hasn't been completely revised and updated but anyone who hasn't got a copy should snap one up as it is one of the required books on the subject and I met Robin Odell a few years back and he's one of the nicest people you could meet.

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X