recovered...dismissal reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovered...dismissal reasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone ever considered that Druitt was released from Mr.Valentine's School for something other than the usual suggestions such as pedophilia, financial malfeasance, or "moonlighting" ?

How about the possibility that he struck a student who had affluent and influential parents ?

Nina

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that has been considered, striking or even saying something inappropriate to the son of someone influential. Also considered was the less nefarious interference of his legal career with his teaching duties and, finally, being discovered away from the school at night without permission. These are all conjecture, of course.
    I wish I'd spotted this at the time- speaking from personal experiences, when working in a school of Mr. Valentine's nature, if a child is struck or inappropriate comments are made in front of children (with influential parents), the teacher is suspended for a couple of days- (to allow for what's known as 'a period of calm'). Upon reinstatement the pupil(s) have to apologise for driving said teacher towards their actions, and the teacher then makes a 'statement of regret.' This is not to be confused with an apology. So the teacher says something along the lines of, 'I regret my quick temper, and assure you that there will be no repeat performance.' What he really wants to say is though, 'I regret that I am saying this because this boy is such a useless waste of space and has no value except as a repository for crisps and mars bars.' These statements of regret are all about saving face.
    Don't assume current teaching of Druitt's era is the same as the current teaching practice- it has changed dramatically over the past 20- 25 years at least. I was the last generation of UK kids that could be legally struck in the class- I think the total ban came in around 1987. Having worked all over the world, I can safely say that much of the rest of the world is still catching up with current UK teaching methods. Whatever Druitt was fired for, I am 99% certain it will not have been for hitting or saying inappropriate things. I think it's most likely for some kind of sexual misconduct or financial irregularities. Having said that though the contents of his pockets indicate he was paid in full upto the day of dismissal which perhaps rules out financial irregularities. On the one occasion where I have come across financial 'irregularities' the staff member had the value embezzled deducted from their final pay off. Whether that would have been standard proceedure in Druitt's day though, I cannot say.

He may have got a servant girl into trouble. He may have passed info about the school to the school nearby - I think there was another school in the same road - and perhaps have been seen as a fifth columnist. He may have had a drug or drink habit......

Andy S.
    Hi Stephen, Robert, Nina, and Andy

Stephen, I very much appreciate your nuanced discussion of teaching practices in 1888 versus today in regard to punishment and student/teacher behaviour. Very informative.

Of course we all tend to think that Druitt's dismissal had to do with some sexual indiscretion. But what if it had to do with the stated reason for his suicide, i.e., mental unbalance... going the same way as his mother, as he is supposed to have expressed it in his suicide note. Thus perhaps there was some manifestation of his mental aberration while at the school which could have involved, for example, mishandling money, as Stephen states might have been a reason for dismissal, or else simply speaking inappropriately while in class in some shape or form or becoming too disorganized to teach. What do you all think?

Certainly, I should think, diminished mental capacity/ability to teach could have been a reason for dismissal. Or do you think that if his dismissal was along those lines, there would have been some evidence that was the case, the school referring him to a mental institution say... or possibly that evidence, if it existed, has been lost. Your thoughts are invited.

All the best

Chris

the thing about the mental problem, is that he was doing fine in his court appearances right up to the end. However, I suppose there is a difference between working on a case at home, and then appearing in court for an hour or two, and teaching on a daily basis. With the court appearances, it might be possible to conceal any mental instability - whereas, as Stephen will probably confirm, there's nothing more calculated to wear a man down than daily attendance on a class of schoolboys.

I remember finding in the 1881 census that some of the pupils - either at Monty's school or at one very close by - had actually had themselves listed as "The Horrible" or "The Terrible" after their surnames. This is in the actual
    census returns!

Robert
    Chris,

Mental problems are a far stretch since Adrian Morris, I believe, has found a case that Druitt worked on in court on November 22nd where he won a successful verdict. of course, lawyers can be nuts but I believe when we think of mental instability, especially with the circumstances surrounding Druitt's dismissal, there would have been signs that had been recorded and noted.

Nina,

I think the major stumbling block with anything other than sexual indiscretion is the fact that there is such silence on the matter. I have heard of a researcher who specializes in the history of where Mr. Valentine's School was, but the name escapes me at the moment (Roy Hidson perhaps?), who claims that there is still silence today on what took place to warrant the dismissal., Such silence generally means one of two things, sexual indiscretion or financial fraud/embezzelment. Since two checks were found on Druitt's body from Mr. Valentine, as owed pay, one must exclude financial issues from the discussion, due to the fact that an employer does not generally give an employee their paychecks and an additional sum after catching them stealing funds.

It was Neil Rhind that was the Blackheath/ Valentine's Historian. Does anybody know the depth of Rhind's research though or attended a private lecture of his?

I have met Mr. Rhind. He is a wonderfully friendly and helpful individual who knows Blackheath history like the back of his hand. He and I sat and drank at the Hare & Billet, within sight of the site of Valentine's school, and yards from J H Lonsdale's haunt as well. We chatted about the possible reasons for Druitt's dismissal but as I recall, Neil really didn't have a theory. I believe I am correct in saying that he thought the most likely cause was inappropriate words or physical actions (not sexual) toward one of the pupils, though don't quite me on that.

I'm afraid I just really at a loss to know what the reasons for Druitt's dismissal was. For every argument there is seemingly a good counter argument.

Um....this thread is from the jtrforums website and not the casebook!

Comment

Why was Druitt dismissed?

Hi all. I became very interested in Druitt many years ago when I discovered the McNaughten Memo and the Swanson Marginalia. Here are 2 men linked to the case who actually state the names of 3 suspects. Now I know these 3 have been debated and written about by people who have done a lot more investigation into JTR than I have, but it still is pretty influential evidence that should be taken more seriously than James Maybrick, for example.

The thing with Druitt is that he died at the right time (which as far as I understand, serial killers who aren't caught often commit suicide) and he was named in confidence by 2 senior police officers. Chris suggested that he was dismissed because his ability to teach was diminished. I think he's on the right track. Having been a teacher for the last 25 years, I'm sure that if Druitt was beating his students he would have been asked to pack his bags. And Dougie, I hope that your statement that 'much of the rest of the world is catching up to current UK teaching methods' doesn't include my neck of the woods. I assure you we take our careers and the welfare of our students very seriously.

Anyway, back on track. We know that Druitt was playing cricket for local clubs and he was working sporadically in court. But he was dismissed for some good reason. If not sexual or physically inappropriate conduct then perhaps he just wasn't up to the grade as a teacher. I'm not sure if they had diminished competence reports in those days but I'm pretty sure they didn't. Now that's no proof that he was JTR but if you are tearing women to pieces at night and early morning, I think your state of mind would not be conducive
      to effective teaching.

Bye

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
        Um....this thread is from the jtrforums website and not the casebook!
        asp,
        it is? oh my god, i think i better leave the recovery job to the experts apologies to all
        regards

Comment

Working...
        X