Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tuke Family

Andy,
    I seem to remember you discussing the Tuke"s and their house in Chiswick where Monty"s mother may have stayed.
    Today I was at the Guildhall Art Gallery and I noticed a painting there by a Henry Scott Tuke.It was quite a lovely work and depicted three naked teenage boys swimming and frolicking in the river.It was painted about 1890.I wondered if Henry might have been a friend of Monty?

Hi Norma
    Have a look at

The painting you mention may be there
    Also a good account at
    personal home page with Paintings of Steve Walker of Canada, gay love stories in Italian and in English, memorials, opinions, documentation, gay pics, gay graphics, and more

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 10-04-2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

In Secreted Desires: The Major Uranians: Hopkins, Pater and Wilde by Michael Matthew Kaylor. there are sections on Henry Scott Tuke and Montagu Druitt. This book is available to read on line at Google Books at:

Comment

Hi Chris,
        Yes,it didnt surprise me-----to see these other paintings on the same theme .I will return to the second link tomorrow,when I scanned through it I noted Henry Scott Tuke"s name but not Montague Druitt"s.Very very interesting if they were friends because Oscar was down there in Hammersmith too.

Comment

A lot of Tuke's work was on this theme but not all of it by any means. It would be like saying all Louis Wain ever did was cats. Noel Coward was part of the Uranian Movement when he was just a boy himself.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Norma
            IN the book Secreted Desires the section on the Whitechapel murders, which also mentions Tumblety, as well as Druitt, starts at page 333
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
              Norma
              IN the book Secreted Desires the section on the Whitechapel murders, which also mentions Tumblety, as well as Druitt, starts at page 333
              Chris
              Thanks for this link Chris.As I said I discovered the Henry Scott Tuke paintings only yesterday and what with the river and Chiswick where Druitt was found drowned and about which Andy wrote regarding the Tuke"s I was certainly quite intrigued.

Comment

Did anyone else notice that two of his paintings were named 'Our Jack' and 'Jack in the Rigging'?

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                  Did anyone else notice that two of his paintings were named 'Our Jack' and 'Jack in the Rigging'?
                  Here are some more paintings by Tuke, courtesy of Google image search.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Limehouse,No I didnt notice that but its strange because I honestly came across these paintings out of the blue, and immediately remembered the unusual name "Tuke".And something about them made me wonder if he had been a friend of Monty.I wonder if the paintings were of Chiswick?If so Monty could have been returning on the day he died ,to a place where he and Henry had enjoyed Summer days together.

Thanks Sam,
                    Have just noticed your link.Interesting images and clearly homoerotic.
                    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-05-2008, 12:11 AM.

Comment

They are beautiful paintings.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                        I wonder if the paintings were of Chiswick?
                        Judging by that Google link I just posted, Nats, not many of them look like Chiswick landscapes to me. Acton, perhaps, but definitely not Chiswick
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Judging by that Google link I just posted, Nats, not many of them look like Chiswick landscapes to me. Acton, perhaps, but definitely not Chiswick
                          Perhaps not Sam,though there are still many nooks and crannies there especially on the section of the river where Druitt"s body was found and the back drop across the river looks very wild,although the foliage and weed appears to conceal St Paul"s school playing fields.

Comment

Hi Nats,

My first reaction to those paintings was that the beaches had a distinct Cornish look about them, and it indeed appears that Tuke painted a great deal in Falmouth.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              Hi Nats,

My first reaction to those paintings was that the beaches had a distinct Cornish look about them, and it indeed appears that Tuke painted a great deal in Falmouth.
                              Now that does make sense Sam.You are probably right.

Comment

Working...
                              X