Compiling a full list of MJD's cricket matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling a full list of MJD's cricket matches

I have been working on compiling as full a list as I can of Druitt's known matches (cricket and one known hockey match)
    The sources I have used are:
    Dan Farson's book
    Irving Rosenwater
    Newspaper accounts
    The Blackheath Cricket Club website
    This is as far as I have got
    If anyone knows of other definite matches that MJD played in I would be very grateful
    All the best
    Chris

Cricket Matches in which M J Druitt played

Date Reported Place Played For Against
    24/06/1876 Winchester Winchester College Eton
    10/05/1879 Oxford Mr Fowler's Side Mr Pearson's Side
    28/04/1880 Oxford Mr Horner's Side Mr Knight's Side
    26/05/1880 Oxford Perambulators Etceteras
    05/06/1880 Eton New College Eton
    16/08/1882 Sidmouth Dorset Devon
    16/08/1882 Sidmouth Incogniti Sidmouth
    08/08/1883 Sherborne Dorset Devon
    18/08/1883 Kingston Park Dorset Hampshire
    23/08/1884 Dorchester Dorset Lansdowne
    07/08/1885 Weston Kingston Park Lansdowne
    12/08/1885 Trowbridge Marylebone Wiltshire
    09/03/1886 Blackheath Blackheath Bristol Hockey Match
    26/04/1886 Blackheath Blackheath G G Hearne's XI
    05/06/1886 Blackheath Blackheath Band of Brothers
    21/07/1888 Blackheath
    04/08/1888 Bournemouth Gent'men of Bournemouth Parsees
    11/08/1888 Bournemouth
    01/09/1888 Canford
    08/09/1888 Blackheath Blackheath Brothers Christopherson

Thats great Chris! Thanks.
    Norma

Comment

Glad it help, Norma
      I'm sure there are more to go on

Comment

In my upcoming article I describe several of Druitt's matches while at Winchester, though not all of them. I can go back through my sources and compile a comprehensive list if that is helpful. In the article I also detail his football (soccer), fives, and track & field exploits at Winchester.

BTW -- Where can I get a copy of Rosenwater's article?

Comment

Andy
          Many thanks for the info and I really look forward to seeing the article you are working on. I cannot ask you to trawl through all your data but if you happen to see any matches that not on the list at the head of this thread Id be grateful if you could let me know.
          Im afraid I dont have a copy of the Rosenwater article from The Cricketer - I used the listing of matches around the time of the murders from the dissertation by Matthew Fletcher at

Hope this helps
          Chris

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I my article I tried to pick the matches where Druitt's performance was outstanding in some way and I omitted matches in which his participation was merely noted. Of course, he played in many such fixtures while a student at Winchester. My source was The Wyckhamist, the newspaper of Winchester College.

Comment

Montague, Rosenwater & cricket matches

Hello Chris and Andy,

If either of you would like me to post a photocopy of the Irving Rosenwater
              article on MJD from THE CRICKETER, just send me a private message through this thread & let me have your postal address ( I'm no good at unreliable scanning & sending).
              I once met Irving Rosenwater in Sydney. He was out here as a cricketing statastician with the English Test team.We discussed Druitt, cricket and the
              mysterious Farson document, "The East End Murderer- I knew Him". Irving was also searching for it. Gave me his West End address.
              By the way Chris, you don't seem to have L.J (John) Leighton's book "Portrait Of A Contender" on your list.
              It was L's possession of Christopherson family cricket cards mentioning Druitt which prompted him to start researching and to subsequently write, his Druitt book.
              When I get time, I'll try to match up the matches from your list, with Leighton's. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

It's "D.J. Leighton" not "L.J.Leighton"...

Hello again Chris,
                Made a mistake with Mr Leighton's initials (see title line above).
                Just had a quick look at John Leighton's book. In his interesting Appendix
                "Scorecards Of A Cricketer" he says there exists today, fifty cricket scorecards mentioning games Montague Druitt played in!
                Rather than pinch Mr Leighton's thunder. After all, finding and keeping these cards was Mr l's trumpcard. I should just say, only three of the matches you list are on his list.
                I think it fairer just to give details of where people can purchase his book.
                After all, its hard work researching, writing and getting your JTR book published these days.
                "Montague Druitt:Portrait Of A Contender" by D.J.Leighton:Hydrangea Publishing:2005.(Their address is 6 Walnut Tree Cottages, London, SW19 5DN).
                JOHN RUFFELS

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                  Hello again Chris,
                  Made a mistake with Mr Leighton's initials (see title line above).
                  Just had a quick look at John Leighton's book. In his interesting Appendix
                  "Scorecards Of A Cricketer" he says there exists today, fifty cricket scorecards mentioning games Montague Druitt played in!
                  I bet Leighton wasn't including the scorecards printed The Wyckhamist as there must easily be half that many there. Leighton's book is excellent but I'm not sure he did any primary research at the Winchester College archives.

Comment

As posted elsewhere (but I'm not sure if people on here read all threads or only on eg suspects they are following):

I knew Dan Farson well in his last 10 years or so and worked with him on his Bacon biography (to try to get a bit of rigour into it LOL). He was quite capable of making up stories and embroidering the facts, also switching bits of info as regards who said what etc etc. He also commonly used others to do the research rather than doing it himself. I'd take anything he wrote with a pinch of salt, although when younger and not so far gone in drink he may have been a lot more thorough of course.

Comment

I read through a cache of correspondence between Farson and the then-archivist at Winchester College while at their archives last summer. Farson appears to have been doing his own research then. He was very keen to get permission to publish the Druitt photo in his book. Unfortunately for Farson, many of the photos that I was shown were not in the archives at that time.

Comment

That's interesting, thanks.

Dan left his house to the couple who 'took care of him' down in Appledore - I wonder what Karen did with his papers. There must be interesting stuff there! He used the old boathouse for his office, it was pretty big. I was very fond of him btw, but just want to sound a note of caution as my own experience of how he worked left me a bit

Comment

Of Farson and Canford Manor Cricket

Hello Sara,

A belated comment of appreciation for what you are semaphoring about the great Dan Farson.A great but a flawed, sometimes floored, man.
                          In hind-sight the chap did some ground-breaking early work. But like most journalists who stray into the Jack The Ripper field, he needed to have a scoop. When someone purloined his scoop, he had to find another scoop.
                          Unfortunately for all we deluded, trusting JTR hunters, his substitute scoop was a scoop of something else!
                          Tell me Sara, were you working with DF when he had to reprise his JTR stuff for the 1988 centenary? Did he make any interesting comments to you or others about that aspect of his work?

Chris Scott and Andy Spallek,
                          About Montague Druitt and his cricketing:have either of you turned up details of the people who played in the same, or opposing sides, at Canford Manor (around 1887)?
                          [See D.J. Leighton's "Montague Druitt: Portrait of a Contender" at page 65:
                          "For years he played occasionally for Canford Manor, Bournemouth and Kingston Park, and these strong clubs would have been glad to give him a game. Canford Manor was Lord Womborne's own team and ground, and no doubt Montague's regular appearance underpinned the friendship that existed between the two families." JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Montague John Druitt, cricket games and related pieces.

Hello all,

I looked up a few details of Montague John Druitt's cricket games, and put some details together. Some of these underneath are known. A few may not be. I have added a few details under some of the games which may or may not be known. Additionally, a few details of other known Druitts and possibly another game which MJD may have played under another initial.
                            If any of these details have been submitted before, my apologies.

1) 8th June 1876. Winchester College v MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club), played at Winchester College Ground. Druitt played for Winchester.
                            1 day game. 2 innings per side.Winchester batted first. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over.

Winchester 1st innings 121 all out (Druitt 17 not out, batting No. 10)
                            MCC 1st innings 75 all out (Druitt took 2 of the 10 wickets)
                            Winchester 2nd innings 57 all out (Druitt 9 not out, batting No.10)

MCC needed 104 runs to win
                            MCC 2nd innings 108 for 2 wickets. (Druitt did not take a wicket in this innings)

MCC won by 8 wickets

2) 23rd and 24th June 1876. Winchester College v Eton College, played at Winchester College Ground. Druitt played for Winchester.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. Eton batted first. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over.

Eton 1st innings 240 all out (Druitt took 2 wickets) His bowling figures were:- 48 overs 15 maidens 67 runs 2 wickets. He bowled two wides.
                            Winchester 1st innings 74 all out (Druitt batting at No.10, was run out, and scored 10 runs)
                            Winchester followed on, 166 runs behind.
                            Winchester 2nd innings 68 all out (Druitt, batting at No.10, was bowled after having scored 2 runs)

Eton won by an innings and 98 runs.

For the cricket enthusiast, an interesting player in the Eton side was IFW (Ivo) Bligh, the first England captain that brought back the "Ashes" from Australia in the early 1880's.
                            In this game, he scored 73 runs in Eton's 1st (and only) innings. Ivo Bligh (later the 8th Earl of Darnley) was the uncle of the Reverend Henry Bligh who was President of Hampton Hill CC
                            1883-87, 1889-90 and 1893. Hampton Hill is where we find during the 1880's the figure of George Morris, resident in Pantile Close, Hampton Common (renamed Hampton Hill in 1890), he of
                            Mitre Square fame. One E.J. Ruggles-Brise played for E.Hirst's XI. A surname familiar with our genre.

3) 6th July 1876. Winchester College v I Zingari, played at Winchester College Ground. Druitt played for Winchester.
                            1 day game. 1 innings per side. 11 players per side. I Zingari batted first. 4 balls per over.

I Zingari 1st innings 204 all out (Druitt did not take a wicket)
                            Winchester 1st innings 121 all out (Druitt batted at No. 9. He was out caught. He scored 0 runs)

I Zingari won by 83 runs.

Two names of note here. Viscount Lewisham played for I Zingari, as did one W.H.Grenfell, a relation of the famous comedienne and actress Joyce Grenfell.

4) 27th and 28th April 1877. H.E.Fowler's XI v E.Hirst's XI, played at Magdelen Ground, Oxford. This was the Oxford University Freshman's trial game. Druitt played for H.E.Fowler's XI.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 13 players per side. 4 balls per over. E.Hirst's XI batted first.

E.Hirst's XI 1st innings 56 all out (Druitt took 1 wicket) His bowling figures were:- 8 overs ? maidens 5 runs 1 wicket.
                            H.E.Fowler's XI 1st innings 65 all out (Druitt batting at No. 11, was bowled after having scored 2 runs)
                            E.Hirst's Zi 2nd innings 82 all out (Druitt took 5 wickets) His bowling figures were:- 31 overs ? maidens 30 runs 5 wickets
                            H.E.Fowler's XI needed 74 runs to win
                            H:E:Fowler's XI 2nd innings 79 for 3 wickets. (Druitt batting at No. 3, was bowled after having scored 11 runs)

H:E:Fowler's XI won by 9 wickets.

Again E.J. Ruggles-Brise played against Druitt, this time for E.Hist's XI.

5) 4th and 5th May 1877. Oxford University v Oxford University Next XVI played at Magdalen Ground, Oxford. Druitt played for Oxford University next XVI.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. Oxford University 11 players, Oxford Unversity Next XVI 16 players. 4 balls per over. Oxford University Next XVI batted first.

Oxford University Next XVI Ist innings 122 all out (Druitt batting at No. 13, was bowled after having scored 2 runs)
                            Oxford University Ist innings 246 for 9 wickets. (Druitt took 1 wicket) His bowling figures 19 overs ? maidens 31 runs 1 wicket

Match drawn.

E.J. Ruggles-Brise played with Druitt in the same team.

6) 5th and 6th May 1879. H.Fowler's XI v A.Pearson's XI. Played at Magdalen Ground, Oxford. This was the Oxford university Seniors game. Druitt played for H.Fowler's XI.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 12 players per side. 4 ball over. A.Pearson's XI batted first.

A.Pearson's XI 1st innings 55 all out. (Druitt took 3 wickets) His bowling figures were:- 14 overs ? maidens 20 runs 3 wickets
                            H.Fowler's XI 1st innings 216 all out (Druitt batting at No. 10, was bowled having scored 28 runs)
                            A.Pearson's XI 1st innings 109 all out (Druitt did not take a wicket) His bowling figures were:- 10 overs ? maidens 38 runs 0 wickets

H. Fowler's XI won by an innings and 52 runs

7) 15th, 16th and 17th May 1879. Oxford University v Oxford University Next XVI played at Magdalen Ground, Oxford. Druitt played for Oxford University next XVI.
                            3 day game. 2 innings per side. Oxford University 11 players, Oxford Unversity Next XVI 16 players. 4 balls per over. Oxford University batted first.

Oxford University 1st innings 94 all out. (Druitt did not take a wicket) His bowling figures were:- 18 overs ? maidens 27 runs 0 wickets.
                            Oxford University Next XVI Ist innings 191 all out. (Druitt batting at No. 15, was bowled after having scored 6 runs)
                            Oxford University 2nd innings 146 all out. (Druitt took 1 wicket) His bowling figures were:- 27 overs ? maidens 35 runs 1 wickets
                            Oxford University Next XVI 2nd innings 36 for 0 wickets (Druitt did not bat in this innings)

Oxford University Next XVI won by 16 wickets.

E. Hirst, H. Fowler and A. Pearson, all from the above games, were all in the Oxford University team.

8) 30th and 31st of July 1879. Gentlemen of Dorset v Gentlemen of Devon played at Sherborne School. Druitt played for the Gentlemen of Dorset.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over. Gentlemen of Dorset batted first.

Gentlemen of Dorset 1st innings 85 all out (Druitt batting at No. 11, was bowled after having scored 4 runs)
                            Gentlemen of Devon 1st innings 262 all out (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)
                            Gentlemen of Dorset 1st innings 113 all out (Druitt batting at No. 11, was not out after having scored 13 runs)

Gentlemen of Dorset won by an innings and 64 runs

9) 1st and 2nd August 1879. Dorset v Somerset played at Sherborne School. Druitt played for Dorset.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over. Somerset batted first.

Somerset 1st innings 155 all out (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)
                            Dorset 1st innings 321 allout (Druitt batting at No. 9, was out caught after having scored 6 runs)
                            Somerset 2nd innings 84 for 5 wickets (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)

Match drawn.

Neither Somerset nor Dorset, although fielding a County XI, were First Class Cricket Counties at this time. Somerset later became a first class team. Dorset are still not regarded as a First Class Cricket County.

10) 26th, 27th and 28th April 1880. C.E.Horner's XI v R.L.Knight's XI played at Magdalen Ground, Oxford. Druitt played for C.E.Horner's XI.
                            3 day game. 2 innings per side. 12 players per side. 4 balls per over. R.L.Knight's XI batted first.

R.L.Knight's XI 1st innings 213 all out (Druitt took 3 wickets) His bowling figures were:- 35 overs 19 maidens 43 runs 3 wickets
                            C.E.Horner's XI 1st innings 389 for 10 wickets declared (Druitt did not bat in this innings)
                            R.L.Knight's XI 2nd innings 229 for 8 wickets (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)

Match Drawn

Note that Druitt neither batted nor bowled again in the match after the first innings, which indicates he was unable to bat or bowl on days two and three of this match. Reason is unknown but indicates an injury. This possibility is also strengthened by the fact that in the 2nd innings of R.L.Knight's XI, a substitute fielder was used.

11) 22nd and 23rd August 1881. Wiltshire v Dorset played at Trowbridge Cricket Club Ground, Trowbridge, Wiltshire. Druitt played for Dorset.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over. Dorset batted first.

Dorset 1st innings 70 all out. (Druitt batting at No. 9, was bowled after having scored 11 runs)
                            Wiltshire 1st innings 52 all out. (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)
                            Dorset 2nd innings 93 all out. (Druitt was run out having scored 27 runs)

Match abandoned due to rain.

Wiltshire are still not classed as a First Class Cricket County to this day.

NB On the second day owing to heavy rain during the night, a fresh wicket was used for the third innings but at 3 o'clock the match was abandoned owing to the downpour.
                            This match was not published in any sporting papers.
                            As a professional played on both sides it was not it is perceived a match between the gentlemen of the counties, but between the whole county.

12) 9th August 1882. Devon v Dorset played at The Fortfield, Sidmouth, Devon. Druitt played for Dorset.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 6 balls per over. Dorset batted first.

Dorset 1st innings 110 all out (Druitt batting at No. 2, was out caught after having scored 17 runs)
                            Devon 1st innings 229 all out (Druitt took 3 wickets)
                            Dorset 2nd innings 81 all out (Druitt batting at No. 2, was out caught after having scored 0 runs)

Devon won by an innings and 38 runs.

J.S.Udal played for Dorset. The Udal name will be familiar with cricket followers as Sean Udal, the Ex England player is related to this man. Another co-incidence is that 3 more name relatives of Sean Udal played for Hampton Hill CC in the 1960's and 1970's, the same club as mentioned over in game No. 2. in connection with I.F.W. Bligh, Henry Bligh and George Morris.

13) 1st and 2nd August 1883. Dorset v Devon played at Sherborne, Dorset. Druitt played for Dorset.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 6 balls per over. Devon batted first.

Devon 1st innings 118 for 9 wickets declared (Druitt took 4 wickets)
                            Dorset 1st innings 43 all out (Druitt batting at No. 1, was out caught after having scored 13 runs)
                            Devon 2nd innings 96 all out (Druitt took 4 wickets)
                            Dorset needed 172 runs to win

Dorset 2nd innings 72 for 3 wickets (Druitt did not bat in this innings)

Match drawn.

14) 10th and 11th August 1885. Wiltshire v MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) played at Trowbridge Cricket Club Ground, Trowbridge, Wiltshire. Druitt played for MCC.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over. MCC batted first.

MCC 1st Innings 266 all out (Druitt batting at No. 9, was out caught after having scored 0 runs)
                            Wiltshire 1st innings 79 all out (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)
                            Wiltshire 2nd innings 61 all out (Druitt did not bowl in this innings either)

MCC won by an innings and 126 runs

Here are are in with some big names. THE W.G.Grace played in this match foir the MCC. He batted as No.1, scored 53, and took 5 wickets and 7 wickets whilst bowling for MCC.
                            In addition, the great W.Gunn (Nottinghamshire), W.G.Gilbert, G.F.Hearne, J.R. Painter, R.J.Pope, W.A.Woof and W.Mycroft played for the MCC.
                            The name Mycroft is said to be the inspiration for the name of Sherlock Holme's brother in the books written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
                            Judging from his score of 0, the quality of his teammates and the fact that he didn't get a bowl, Druitt is in a league of players above his ability here.

15) 10th June 1886. Harrow School v MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) played at Harrow School Cricket Ground, Harrow, Middlesex. Gruitt played for MCC.
                            1 day game. 1 innings per side. 12 players per side. 4 balls per over. MCC batted first.

MCC first innings 175 all out (Druitt batting at No. 5, was out caught after having scored 10 runs)
                            Harrow first innings 118 all out (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)

MCC won by 57 runs.

16) 29th, 30th and 31st August 1887. Bryn-y-Neuadd v Incogniti played at Bryn-y-Neuadd, Llanfairfechan, Wales. Druitt played for Incogniti.
                            3 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over. Bryn-y-Neuadd batted first.

Bryn-y-Neuadd 1st innings 179 all out (Druitt took 6 wickets)
                            Incogniti 1st innings 184 all out (Druitt batting at No. 5, was out stumped after having scored 7 runs)
                            Bryn-y-Neuadd 2nd innings 154 all out (Druitt took 3 wickets)
                            Incogniti needed 150 runs to win
                            Incogniti 2nd innings 120 all out (Druitt batting at No. 5, was out caught after having scored 0 runs)

Bryn-y-Neuadd won by 29 runs.

17) 3rd and 4th August 1888. Bournemouth v Parsees, played at Dean Park, Bournemouth. Druitt played for Bournemouth.
                            2 day game. 2 innings per side. 11 players per side. 4 balls per over. Bournemouth batted first.

Bournemouth 1st Innings 56 all out (Druitt batting at No.5, was bowled having scored 12 runs)
                            Parsees 1st innings 61 all out (Druitt took 5 wickets)
                            Bournemouth 2nd innings 41 all out (Druitt batting at No.5, was out caught having scored 0 runs)
                            Parsees needed 37 runs to win
                            Parsees 2nd innings 37 for 4 wickets (Druitt did not bowl in this innings)

Parsees won by 6 wickets.

18) 8th September 1888. Blackheath v The Christophersons, played at the Rectory Field, Blackheath. Druitt played for Blackheath.
                            1 day game. 1 innings per side. 10 players per side. 5 balls per over. Blackheath batted first.

Blackheath 1st innings 115 all out (Druitt batting at No.4, was caught out having scored 2 runs)
                            The Christphersons 1st innings 93 all out (Druitt took 3 wickets) His bowling figures were:- 16 overs 4 maidens 38 runs 3 wickets

Blackheath won by 22 runs.

All 10 members of "The Christophersons" were actually named Christopherson.
                            (Listed as Stanley, Sidney, Douglas, Derman, Derman jun, P, K, C, M, H.)

And as if we needed an extra little twist in the oddities.. one G.R. Hutchinson played for Blackheath, scoring 44 not out.
                            I wonder......

The following is listed in cricket archive under Montague John Druitt

Full name: Montague John Druitt
                            Born: 15th August 1857, Wimborne, Dorset, England
                            Died: 4th December 1888, Brentford, Middlesex, England
                            Education: Winchester College; New College, Oxford
                            Biography: Barrister, Inner Temple (1885)
                            Relations: Brother: Edward Druitt

Please note the date and place of death.

According to the same source, Druitt's younger brother, Edward, played 28 registered games for 7 different teams 1875 to 1881.

The following list is a list of all persons with this name registered in the cricket archive.

H.Druitt's only game is from 1875, and at Oxford in a Freshman's trial, for A.J.Webbe's XI v H.J.B.Hollings' XI. I suspect this may well possibly be M.J.Druitt. Also in this game, by coincidence, is one G.S.Marriott playing for the opposition. Grenfell, mentioned above, plays in the same team as Druitt.

Edward Druitt played from 1875-1881

E.J.Druitt's only game is registered from 1911, for Downside School v King's School, Bruton
                            W.A.H. Druitt's only game is registered from 1926, playing for Edinburgh Acadamy v Trinity College, Glenalmond
                            W.H.Druitt's only game is registered from 1873, playing for Clifton College v Royal Agricultural College.
                            James Druitt is a current player, playing for Copdock and Old Ipswichonians 2006-2011.

My thanks go to :-

Roger Heavens for providing scorecards which was first published in Arthur Haygarth's Cricket Scores and Biographies Volume 16.

Wisden Almanac, various editions.

kindly

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

Macnaghten, who loved cricket and his days at Eton, completely alters Druitt -- a cricketer and a teacher at a Boys' School -- into an invalid recluse who most certainly does not teach, or play cricket.

This is in Sims' deflective writngs during the Edwardian Era.

Comment

Working...
                              X