Alfred Hitchcock and JTR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Hitchcock and JTR

The latest issue of Fortean Times features an article by Stephen Volk on Alfred Hitchcock and Jack the Ripper. The article explores how Hitchcock's films were inspired by "JTR" and also looks at "The Lodger".

The magazine is available at all good retailers, for £4.25,
    The issue number is FT241 October 2008

The Fortean Times homepage is here,

After a while, select articles appear on the website from the magazine.
    Regards Mike

I'm a Fortean subscriber and read the article with interest. It makes the point that Hitchcock not only produced 'Frenzy', another very Ripperesque piece of work but also gave us the most famous knife scene in cinema history in 'Psycho'.

Growing up in the early 1900s, the relatively recent Whitehcapel murders undoubtedly had a major influence on Hitchcock's young mind.

Interestingly, Volk describes Hitchcock as a borderline 'Asperger-ish loner'. Given that Hitchcock would later be accused of misogyny in his films, could this be another reason he was attracted to elements of the Ripper case?
    Last edited by Scotland Yard; 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

...and to accompany your readin', here's a link for viewin' a Hitchcock Presents episode ( around 26 minutes ) with an East End murderer with a hint o' The Ripper in mind.

Season 2, Episode 32. The Hands Of Mr. Ottermole

Comment

It is an interesting read, but then again, the magazine always is! I have Stephen Volk's "Ghostwatch", which scared the hell out of me as a kid! It has aged somewhat, but is still a classic of British TV!

Thanks for the link Howard, my parents used to watch Hitchcock on TV when I was a kid, along with "Tales of the Unexpected", but they don't make TV like that anymore!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Has anyone ever heard Hitchcock discuss the Ripper in any of his interviews? I haven't but hope there's one out there somewhere.
          Last edited by sdreid; 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hello you all!

As a 1899 born londoner, Hitchcock definitely was influenced by the Ripper case...

I just wonder, how many other London-originating artists of the same generations had influences of the case to their artwork.

All the best
            Jukka
            "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I recently heard about this as a book, but have never seen it so I googled it and found this wonderfully titled,

Alfred Hitchcock: the truth about Marnie.
              Part 1: Jack the Ripper and the Superbitch Prostitute

by Theodore Price

Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
              X